Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

June 1, 2010 -

Ryan G. Van Cleave's new book about his battle with game addiction is in stores today. The book is called "Unplugged: My Journey Into The Dark World Of Video Game Addiction," and it details what the author calls a battle with "very serious addiction" to playing videogames. His level of addiction? He claims he spent 50 hours a week playing videogames which led to self-imposed alienation from friends and family, job loss, and bad health.

A press release this morning in support of the book offers a particularly hard to belive quote on what he experienced when he gave gaming up:

Though Van Cleave went cold turkey himself, experiencing weeks of fevers, chills, and uncontrollable shaking, he doesn’t recommend that for others.

Instead, he says moving gaming consoles to an area where the player can be monitored is the first step to recovery.

Comparing a video game addiction to symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal (delirium tremens, or DT's) seems a bit disingenuous to me.. You might also want to check out Van Cleave's 2006 book "The Magical Breasts of Britney Spears" while you're at it. Find both on Amazon.com.

Comments

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Writing a book about brittney having magical breasts & then writing a book about addicted gamers......I will take the writer as a joke.

"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not." - Montgomery Gentry

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

I have 8 full days logged in MW2 multiplayer.  That's 192 hours.

EDIT - that was supposed to be a reply to

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Yeah. I have over 100 on Assassin's Creed 2 and it's not even an online game.

I looked at this guy's other titles and it strikes me that this book is obviously just some hack author's latest idea to make a fast buck.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

"Even when he was sexually molested by a young school teacher at age eleven, it was the promise of a new video game that had lured him to her house."

WOW.  I think you got problems goin' deeper than video games, bro.  He does sound like the kind of guy who would go into convulsions while trying to quit.  Also, the page features a quote from our second-favourite scapegoater after JT, Brad from exgamer dot net.  I gotta go renew my library card, this sounds like a great summertime hammock read.

---
Fangamer

---
Fangamer

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

LOL, if 50 hours a week is considered addiction, I go through 'addiction' every time I buy a new game.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Wait, there's new games that actually are 50+ hours still? I thought they all became 5-7 hour bloomfests.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

With extra content, replays and online play, a 4 hour game like CoD4 can easily be played for 50 hours plus.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

"Though Van Cleave went cold turkey himself, experiencing weeks of fevers, chills, and uncontrollable shaking"

I honestly call BS on this line. Cigs, cocaine, heroine I can see cuasing thios, but not soemthing that's not even a substance you injest.

Re: Unplugged: Game Addiction Book in Stores

Yeah.. that line tells me that the author is not being honest....

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am