Chinese Anti-Drug Campaign Leverages Game Operators

June 2, 2010 -

The Chinese government is calling on the sizeable network of game operators within its borders for assistance with an anti-drug campaign.

Over 50 online game operators, including the likes of Shanda Entertainment and Giant Online, have said they will take part in a competition to create anti-drug public service advertisements at their own expense. The consortium was put together by Shanghai’s anti-drug commission, according to a story on China.org.cn.

The PSA’s judged to be best will eventually be shown on the city’s mobile TV network and in Internet cafes.

Of China’s 30 million online gamers, “most” were billed as being men, under the age of 35, which coincides with numbers estimating that 75 percent of all new drug users in Shanghai are people under 35. Xu Chuan, an “official” from the Shanghai anti-drug commission, noted, “Online gamers and drug users have similar demographic characteristics in most of the cases."

Xu continued, “The companies can have their names used in the ads, so it is really a win-win situation here: They get low-cost advertising and we have a free education campaign.”

If successful, the campaign could be adopted in other parts of the country.

|Image from ExplodingDog|

Comments

Re: Chinese Anti-Drug Campaign Leverages Game Operators

The part where they say that Online Gamers and Drug Users have "similar demographics" can also be said about how Rock Music and Drug Users fell into that same sort of belief from an older generation of parents back in the 1960s and 1970s,

What I am really trying to say is that these anti-drug campaingners are doing more harm than good because their messages contain allot of miss-information and they are not talking about the real problems of drugs, they are just targeting one youth problem with some sort of youth culture that they believe is assiciated with drugs.

Also they have got another thing wrong, their logo is really disturbing and seems to indicate that "Don't do drugs, or we will make you die" sort of thing.

Plus, same thing happened in the late 80's early 90's when politicians and anti-drug organisations started wanting cartoon characters to talk about drugs to an age group who had no idea what drugs were...

I can still remember Bugs Bunny saying "What is this, a joint?"

TBoneTony

Re: Chinese Anti-Drug Campaign Leverages Game Operators

Not to mention he same demographics might be I dunno rebellious and think differently than the government....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Chinese Anti-Drug Campaign Leverages Game Operators

Wait, are you sure they're claiming games are associated with drugs? Sounds more like "most drug users are young. most gamers are young. assuming no relation between gaming and drug using, targetting gamers with anti-drugads still seems like a good way to reach drug users."

Re: Chinese Anti-Drug Campaign Leverages Game Operators

YOU MONSTERS! YOU MURDERED AN INNOCENT UNICORN!!!!

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm