The Witcher 2 DRM Fears Abated

June 2, 2010 -

European consumers concerned over the DRM in The Witcher 2 have little to worry about, according to developer CD Projekt. Responding to concerns that Namco Bandai Partners would be distributing the game in Europe, the company said that consumers in the region have nothing to fear, given its consistent stance on DRM. Those concerns were mostly fueled by Namco Bandai Partners' recent approval of Ubisoft's "always connected" DRM solution in a recent interview with Computer and Video Games Magazine.

Taking to its Facebook page and fielding questions sent to its Twitter account, CD Projekt went out of its way to let consumers know that it has its own approach to DRM:

"Our distributors commented the Ubisoft-like DRM security solutions, and we're receiving a massive feedback about applying such in The Witcher 2," the company declared via Facebook. "There's nothing to worry about, as nothing is decided yet. And still, it's a private opinion. You know Cd Projekt RED's opinion about DRM, right? ;-)"

The opinion of the company behind The Witcher series and DRM-free classic games portal Good Old Games has always been that restrictive DRM is bad for consumers.

The Witcher 2 will be released in the first quarter of 2011 for PC. It will be distributed in North America by Atari and in Europe and Asia by Namco Bandai Partners. A PS3 and Xbox 360 version of the game may happen sometime in the future..

Source: Shacknews

Posted in

Comments

Re: The Witcher 2 DRM Fears Abated

Glad to hear the Witcher 2 won't plan on having DRM in the style of Ubisoft's crappy solution.

Re: The Witcher 2 DRM Fears Abated

Bears mentioning that, despite CD Projekt's DRM stance, the US version of the first Witcher game had TAGES -- but it was eventually removed.

Still, a good sign; The Witcher is one of my favorite games of the past several years and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Re: The Witcher 2 DRM Fears Abated

and i didn't buy until it was :)
TAGES actually blatantly called me a pirate themselves when i asked my key be reset after a failed install....

whatever happened to customer satisfaction when dealing with support lines and being polite?

Re: The Witcher 2 DRM Fears Abated

That was before they realized that they could be dicks and still get their money.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am