Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

June 3, 2010 -

In a stunning show of bipartisanship, legislation designed to honor surfer—and former videogame cover star—Kelly Slater, passed through the House of Representatives on May 18.

Sponsored by Florida’s Bill Posey (R), who introduced the Bill on October 1, 2009, with assistance from Hawaii’s Mazie Hirono (D), H.Res792 sailed though the House without objection. 60 co-sponsors of the bill were listed in all.

Born in Cocoa Beach, Florida, Slater was honored for his "outstanding and unprecedented achievements in the world of surfing and for being an ambassador of the sport and excellent role model."

Comments

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

Is it bad that my first reaction to this was "did he die?? O_o

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

Dems and Repubs are good at agreeing to waste money on shit like this.  That is, shit that doesn't matter and has no place on the todo list of gov't employees.  Also on that list is playing solitaire on their computers.

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

*looks at URL*

Y'know, I realize that the guy may have been on a game cover, but calling this "News from the intersection of Video Games and Politics" really is a stretch.

I mean, I suppose it doesn't hurt, it's hard to argue that fewer stories is better than more stories, in general, but is this really gaming politics news? The guy was on a cover for a video game once upon a time, and the "politics" is a bunch of politicians deciding that maybe it wasn't a good idea to vote against saying nice things about a dead quasi-celebrity; it hardly takes Karl Rove to figure out that voting against a resolution that says nice stuff about someone who just died isn't the smartest carreer move when you're in politics.

May I suggest, GP, that you have a look at how tightly you have that news lense focused?

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

"A stunning show of bipartisanship"...too bad it had to be on a non-issue

www.gameslaw.net

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

This honestly seems like something I'd read in The Onion.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am