Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

June 3, 2010 -

In a stunning show of bipartisanship, legislation designed to honor surfer—and former videogame cover star—Kelly Slater, passed through the House of Representatives on May 18.

Sponsored by Florida’s Bill Posey (R), who introduced the Bill on October 1, 2009, with assistance from Hawaii’s Mazie Hirono (D), H.Res792 sailed though the House without objection. 60 co-sponsors of the bill were listed in all.

Born in Cocoa Beach, Florida, Slater was honored for his "outstanding and unprecedented achievements in the world of surfing and for being an ambassador of the sport and excellent role model."

Comments

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

Is it bad that my first reaction to this was "did he die?? O_o

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

Dems and Repubs are good at agreeing to waste money on shit like this.  That is, shit that doesn't matter and has no place on the todo list of gov't employees.  Also on that list is playing solitaire on their computers.

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

*looks at URL*

Y'know, I realize that the guy may have been on a game cover, but calling this "News from the intersection of Video Games and Politics" really is a stretch.

I mean, I suppose it doesn't hurt, it's hard to argue that fewer stories is better than more stories, in general, but is this really gaming politics news? The guy was on a cover for a video game once upon a time, and the "politics" is a bunch of politicians deciding that maybe it wasn't a good idea to vote against saying nice things about a dead quasi-celebrity; it hardly takes Karl Rove to figure out that voting against a resolution that says nice stuff about someone who just died isn't the smartest carreer move when you're in politics.

May I suggest, GP, that you have a look at how tightly you have that news lense focused?

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

"A stunning show of bipartisanship"...too bad it had to be on a non-issue

www.gameslaw.net

Re: Dems, Repubs Toss Aside Differences to Honor Surfer

This honestly seems like something I'd read in The Onion.

WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am