2010 G.I.R.L. Scholarship Recipient Announced

June 7, 2010 -

Sylvia Liu of Milpitas, California, is the latest student to be awarded the Gamers in Real Life Scholarship. The 2010 G.I.R.L. Scholarship marks the third year of the program from Sony Online Entertainment. It is a scholarship for women that encourages a vocation in arts and computer studies that ultimately leads to the development of video games.

Liu, an entertainment design student, was awarded a $10,000 scholarship to be applied toward her tuition and other educational expenses at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, and an optional paid internship of up to 10 weeks at SOE’s headquarters in San Diego, working on one of the company's titles.

"I feel so happy and honored to be chosen as the winner this year," said Liu. "I worked hard on my submission and am very proud of what I accomplished for this competition. This opportunity will help me a long way in my career so I can’t wait to get started!"

Liu was one of over 200 that applied for the 2010 scholarship. Finalists were asked to submit original concept art depicting a new game environment and new characters for either Free Realms or EverQuest II, along with an essay discussing their views on women in the video game industry.

The scholarship does lead to full time work in the game industry: the first recipient of the G.I.R.L. scholarship, Julia Brasil, has been a part of the SOE-Seattle team since her internship began in 2008. Due to her skills and talent as an intern, she remained in Seattle, transferred from The Art Institute-San Francisco to The Art Institute-Seattle and will graduate at the end of the year.

Find out more about the scholarship by visiting girl.soe.com.

Posted in

Comments

Re: 2010 G.I.R.L. Scholarship Recipient Announced

Good for her, I really mean that. Anytime someone's hardwork is noticed and they are rewarded with an oppurtunity to increase their skills, it is a good thing.

The scholarship is sexist though, so I don't support it. Anything that uses someone's sex or 'race' as a determining factor for eligibility is discriminatory, nothing can be said to convince me otherwise.

"

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

WonderkarpAny of you guys watch Game Grumps? They have an episode detailing alot of the bugs in the hilariously bad Sonic Boom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Jb3A0HLe4&list=UU9CuvdOVfMPvKCiwdGKL3cQ11/26/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI'm blanking. What's MMS?11/26/2014 - 4:16pm
james_fudgeI keep an eye on it for really good deals11/26/2014 - 4:00pm
MaskedPixelanteEhh, MSS is only half off, I can wait for it to go under 1011/26/2014 - 3:48pm
NeenekoWhich is why I completely ignore the site.11/26/2014 - 3:15pm
james_fudgeAHHH Someone bar the door and keep the kids away from the credit cards!11/26/2014 - 3:14pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Ralph Retort is a toxic mess and the guy is literally building his career on the back of the GamerGate movement. Whether you believe GamerGate is right or wrong this is a man profiteering on this war.11/26/2014 - 2:56pm
WonderkarpTHE STEAM SALES HAVE BEGUN!11/26/2014 - 2:16pm
MaskedPixelanteUnless you have said DLC already, then you can get the equally broken FarCry 4.11/26/2014 - 2:15pm
WonderkarpI love Boogie. He's awesome.11/26/2014 - 2:02pm
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/ubisoft-apologizes-for-assassins-creed-unity-with-free-1663768202 [Sarcasm]Ubisoft Apologizes for making a broken game, gives out free dlc for said broken game[/sarcasm]11/26/2014 - 1:53pm
Andrew EisenIt's a cute joke to make but it’s important to note that the person's view is not gendered. It's not about not supporting a female dev, it's about not supporting GamerGate. Gender is irrelevant in this case.11/26/2014 - 1:10pm
Neo_DrKefkaToo add what Andrew said about the The Ralph Retort it is no different from what you read at Gawker. I remember reading The Ralph Retort on how Boogie was the bad guy from being on the fence until he jumped to the GamerGate side.11/26/2014 - 12:42pm
Wonderkarpthat, I do not know the answer too. I see some people saying they wont vote for her because of it. I'm pointing out the irony.11/26/2014 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenIs this call to not vote for her game widespread or is it just the one tweet from the one guy?11/26/2014 - 12:19pm
Wonderkarphttps://twitter.com/GMShivers here's her twitter if you wanna look. I didnt see any harassment. 11/26/2014 - 12:07pm
Andrew EisenI'm just curious what kind of GamerGater the dev is. Does she harass people? If so, I could understand the desire not to support her. "Very Pro-GG" doesn't tell me anything.11/26/2014 - 12:05pm
NeenekoWhile boycotts have their place, small ones like that just hurt small producers for no real gain. It is just being petty.11/26/2014 - 12:02pm
WonderkarpI'm addicted too their deals :P When I find an alternative, I'll drop Kotaku :P. you Tease cause you care though :)11/26/2014 - 11:57am
Andrew EisenWarning, light teasing incoming. Ahem. So, not only could you not go a full four hours without reading The Ralph Retort, but you read Kotaku? A site you say you're actively trying to convince others to stay away from? Wow!11/26/2014 - 11:56am