Good Morning Vietnam

June 8, 2010 -

Is China declining as an affordable manufacturing solution for companies like Apple, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and more? Not quite yet, but as the Chinese government, and corporations like Foxconn are forced to raise wages, the bottom line for foreign companies may get smaller and smaller. The bottom line rules the universe. Consumers could feel it at the checkout line or corporations will take serious steps to keep manufacturing costs down.

The New York Times and Wall Street Journal predict a future where the Apple's of the world exit China for newer, cheaper labor markets like Vietnam, India and Indonesia. Some say that discussions about such moves are already underway. Foxconn, faced with a string of suicides and controversies surrounding the general well-being of its massive workforce, has raised the pay of its employees twice this year and cities like Beijing plan to raise those wages even more. Even more alarming for foreign companies doing business in China is a movement by the government to give workers more rights.

Naturally, this scares corporations who see the evaporation of a market that served them well, and saved them a lot of costs. Add to that Inflation within China and a projected increase in its currency value, and it is the perfect storm for companies to get the hell out. Naturally higher costs for a company like Apple may lead to higher prices for that iPhone or iPad at retail if the labor situation in China is seriously reformed.

Source: Engadget

Posted in

Comments

Re: Good Morning Vietnam

They will just continually move to new poor countries.  As those countries become rich from all the work and labor prices go up, they will again move to the next poor country.  There's certainly a bunch of them available.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm