Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

June 9, 2010 -

Fallout: New Vegas for the PC will use Steamworks for its digital rights management, according to publisher Bethesda. According to Bethesda's Jason Bergman, Fallout: New Vegas is using Steamworks as its DRM solution because it provides a number of benefits including achievements, friends list support, and other features. Of course this means users will have to have the Steam client installed in order to play the game. There are worse methods for providing DRM like "always on."

While you will have to be online when you first install it, there aren't too many other restrictions you have to worry about. Users can install the game on as many machines as they want and after that first initial install you won't need the disc again; you can download it directly from Steam after that.

New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment under the watchful eye of Bethesda Softworks and will be out this fall for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Source: Shacknews

Posted in

Comments

Re: Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

They are just basically ditching Games for Windows - LIVE to Steamworks in terms of DRM.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

This also means people can forgo the disc entirely and just buy it from Steam. Not to mention mod support.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

Why bring up mod support? If anything, Steam makes mods more difficult. Lots of mods  modify the .exe, which you can't do for Steam games. Mods for Fallout 3 and Oblivion actually didn't work on Steam until they went and changed the Steam version of the game.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

That's not what I would call "true". In fact, it's exactly what I would call "lying"

The built-in mod functionality for both games worked fine with Steam from day one. As for those that used the script extenders (which is what I assume you mean by "modifying the .exe" -- something the vast majority of mods for Fallout 3 and Oblivion do not actually do), Fallout 3's Fallout Script Extender was compatible with Steam from the very beginning. As for the Oblivion Script Extender, the compatibility issues were resolved three days after the game was released on Steam when Valve updated the executable so that the DLL would hook correctly, and then provided the author of OBSE with changes to obse_loader.exe that would make the script extender know where to hook the DLL (while hosting their own changed version of the executable in the meantime).

In conclusion, stop making shit up.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas to use Steamworks

The only games where modding is more difficult is if the game was difficult to mod in the first place, such as with Bioshock. Both Valve and Bethesda treat modders VERY well.

Heh, in fact, one person who made a mod for HL2 is now helpign work on HL2: Episode 3

james_fudgeThe forum was under used, except by spam bots.06/03/2015 - 9:48am
DocMelonheadNatir: I don't know, this is part of the ECA; That would mean the ECA would make a forum for their numerous sites. 06/03/2015 - 9:39am
NatirAnyone ever think a forum would benefit this site rather than just the comments of an article?06/03/2015 - 8:28am
MattsworknameInteresting Ivresse, I've seen some of whose line.06/03/2015 - 4:35am
IvresseMattsworkname: She also hosts 'Whose Line is it Anyway?' and was one of the guests on the Cards against Humanity episode of Tabletop if you wanna know. She also wrote an open letter to idiots who didn't think she was a gamer.06/03/2015 - 3:10am
MattsworknameI have a wall of netflix shit to still watch, plus Beserek, plus some 80s stuff I just got on blue rrays06/02/2015 - 9:12pm
Andrew EisenWhen she first hosted Ubi's presser, I hadn't heard of her or Archer either. James told me to watch it. So I did (once a free Netflix trial rolled around) and I loved it!06/02/2015 - 8:58pm
MattsworknameOh, ok then, I havent seen archer06/02/2015 - 8:57pm
Andrew EisenI still say Sony should get Jerry Lambert to host its conference as the Kevin Butler character.06/02/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenMatt - She voices Lana on an animated series called Archer.06/02/2015 - 8:43pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is probably the best e3 event host, but I still think third parties should be banned from doing press events.06/02/2015 - 8:37pm
MattsworknameWho dat?06/02/2015 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenGo with what works. Aisha Tyler is hosting Ubisoft's E3 presser again.06/02/2015 - 8:15pm
MattsworknameYou know what I miss, Final fight, I used to love those games, and then street wise came out and killed the franchise06/02/2015 - 7:22pm
DocMelonheadAE: most likely Classic.06/02/2015 - 7:06pm
MattsworknameAt this point, I worry that mega man will have to die and then be bought out from capcom before a new , true megaman game ever gets made. have to settle for Might no 9 for now06/02/2015 - 7:00pm
Andrew EisenI bet it will be based on the Legends universe, just to rub salt in the wound!06/02/2015 - 6:59pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I would rather a new game, but what do I know lol06/02/2015 - 6:56pm
MattsworknameKarp, having play bloodborne all the way to the end levels, I can attest that arin is not really good, but hes suprisingly fast at it, and he would probably be better if he was better at countering. Still fun as hell to watch them play'06/02/2015 - 6:30pm
Andrew EisenWhich Mega Man do you think this series will be based on?06/02/2015 - 5:58pm