Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

June 14, 2010 -

Update: Bitmob's Dan Hsu will be giving away his Xbox 360 Slim to the Bitmob community soon.  Check out Hsu's Twitter feed for details (thanks Pete).

Original Story:If you happened to catch Microsoft's E3 press conference you may have heard that Microsoft was giving away the new Xbox 360 slim away to journalists that attended the event. Thankfully sites like Joystiq - if they are allowed to - will not be keeping many of these new systems. Instead, according to this post, they will give away as many of these system as they can "as soon as they can."

While this is great for fans that enjoy free things (who doesn't?) it is also great for journalism and shows that, while readers may not always agree with Joystiq's reporting methods, they at least have the integrity that journalists should have. As for the fellow who stood up and cheered when Microsoft said it would be giving attendees of the press event a free Xbox 360 slim: you should be embarrassed.

Check out Joystiq to see fresh shots of the new Xbox 360, on sale in stores today.

editor's note: the opinions in this story are my own.

Comments

Re: Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

Hows the heating issues?

---

Re: Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

Bribary. Nothing more. Everyone is sayingit, let's stop pretending it isn't.  Press kit + tshirt + tote bag = okay

Free console = bribe

Re: Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

What exactly is the issue with Joystiq's reporting methods? If a story is a rumour they always mark it as such. If they can't confirm a statement or quote, they say so. If they take a story from another site, they link back to it, which is more than can be said for many other sites, especially when Alexander Sliwinski and Ben Heck broke the story on the Xbox 360 Slim with an internal hard drive back in March.

They can disagree with their opinions if they wish but I see no cause for complaint with their ethical, editorial and reporting standards.

Re: Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

Poorly thought out move by Microsoft in my opinion, Journalists are a suspicious bunch at the best of times and, to be honest, they are only going to be more suspicious if a company starts handing out freebies to them, if anything, it stands to create more critical scrutiny of the product itself, rather than less.

Journalists are also sensitive to the opinions of their readers and, in the computer industry, are aware of people's concern about objectivity in reviews, so all MS have really managed to achieve is to put a lot of journalists in a difficult situation, which won't be thought of fondly by those journalists.

Re: Joystiq Giving Away Microsoft E3 Freebies

Looks cool, not worth buying another one quite yet. Still dealing with the crappy transfer of data from my old elite to the new one....

~Weatherlight~

~Weatherlight~

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm