AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

June 16, 2010 -

As Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Julius Genachowski grapples with a decision on whether or not to reclassify broadband service in order to wield influence over it, AT&T is playing hardball by threatening to cut back on its U-Verse spending in light of additional government authority.

U-Verse is an AT&T IPTV service that offers high-speed Internet, phone and television programming and counts 2.3 million current subscribers. It is currently available to 24 million homes, a number expected to reach 30 million by the end of 2011. AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson told the Wall Street Journal however, that FCC reclassifying of broadband from Title 1 to Title 2 would mean, “…we have to re-evaluate whether we put shovels in the ground.”

Ars Technica referenced an AT&T 2009 annual report in which the company stated it had decreased spending in U-Verse in the past year due to “the upgrades to our existing network become more mature.”

A Free Press spokesperson called AT&T out, stating, “AT&T has already slowed down U-verse deployment under the current Title I regime, so to blame the FCC for the company's own investment decisions is simply disingenuous.”

Comments

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

Wow, they're just doing it all wrong. If anything they should be tryign to shwo they don't need regulation, not making a case for regulation.

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

Cut back on spending? With the speeds we get compared to some parts of the world and the artifical caps that many of 'em now put in place, it looks like they're not spending *any* money on HSI.

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

AT&T are really screwing up lately, example!

I personally think AT&T has no right to make threats when they cant even handle their own systems >_>

╔╦═╣Signature Statement╠═╦╗

If you don't like something I said in a post, don't just hit the dislike, let me know your thoughts! I'm interested in knowing everyone's opinions, even when they don't mesh with my own.

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

Hey AT&T if you wont sell to the public soemone else will.

---

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

First the get rid of unlimited g3 usage now they're trying to black mail the FCC by threating to not expand there services. I feel sorry for those that are stuck with AT&T.

Re: AT&T Uses U-Verse as FCC Bargaining Chip

So.... to speak plainly, AT&T is extorting the FCC.

Stay classy there AT&T.

Whats next? "Keep DSL regulation down or the puppy dies?"

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm