Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

June 18, 2010 -

According to a report in Andriasang - citing Japanese business newspaper Nikkei - the Nintendo 3DS will allow users to install games on its internal storage media. While it wasn't stated in the report that some type of digital rights management would be a part of that equation, it is probably safe to draw such an conclusion assuming it's all true. Is this Nintendo's way of dealing with whatever R4 device is made to copy games on the 3DS?

According to Nikkei, 3DS users will be able to copy or install 3DS software to internal memory. This allows for multiple games to be stored in the system and gives users the ability to switch between them by selecting from the system's main menu. The paper goes on to say that this feature makes it so that users won't have to swap cartridges to play games.

Naturally all of this is unconfirmed by Nintendo. We'll follow this story as it develops..

Posted in

Comments

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

I'm calling BS on this feature.  I won't believe it until it's official.

It is somewhat believable if they set a limit to 2 games or something, but with Nintendo's track record on this sort of thing it doesn't seem likely.

Pwnage of Empires

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Im sure you'll need the original cart inside the 3DS to be able to play the installed games. Atlease thats how it is on the 360 and ps3.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Yeah, but that would then completely defeat the purpose of installing it on a 3DS. Installing it to the 360 or PS3 carries the advantage of reading it from the hard drive instead of the much slower DVD or Blu-Ray, whereas if you install it on a 3DS, you'd be reading it off a flash cart instead of...a flash cart.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Reports I've read commenting on the rumored feature suggest it isn't to increase load speed, but to make it so you don't have to carry the games around when you travel.

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

32GB flash mem is less than 50$ so it plausable.......or I dunno just allow people to put in SD cards of thier own.

On a side note the 3DS is a abre upgrade to the DS.....its rather sad....and no TV out......

---

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

You can already use your own SD card o nthe DSI.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Now to just wait for publishers to yank support at the mere mention of copying games.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Apparently game cards are going to have a 2GB storage capacity at launch. Assuming that most games end up using most of that capacity, it seems to me like they'd have to have some crazy internal storage space for a handheld if they're going to support installing games (or at least more than a handful of games at once).
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am
james_fudgeodd why would they delete pro vita comments?10/21/2014 - 12:50am
Neo_DrKefkaI am a little disturbed that members of #GamerGate are supporting and not holding its same members accountable when they say remarks that are unacceptable!10/20/2014 - 11:39pm
Neo_DrKefkaSome #GamerGate people are defending @kingofpol many are however lashing out at him but if we held Sam Biddle accountable and Gawker so must we hold @kingofpol and #GamerGate10/20/2014 - 11:30pm
Neo_DrKefkaA big name in the Gamergate movement Kingofpol uses a offensive term about autistic people and in turn the entire GamerGate community lashes out at him. We do not need false leaders who think they can say anything https://twitter.com/Kingofpol10/20/2014 - 11:07pm
Papa MidnightMP, honestly, I'm struggling to make heads or tales of the events being outlined in that reddit thread. I've never heard of Siliconera before, either.10/20/2014 - 10:48pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/2jbn6u/former_siliconera_moderator_leaks_screenshots_of/ Siliconera mods accused of deleting user comments that were pro Vita.10/20/2014 - 9:23pm
quiknkoldhttp://www.diamondbackonline.com/opinion/article_3fbc52ec-57eb-11e4-ba91-0017a43b2370.html10/20/2014 - 9:16pm
Neo_DrKefkaId love to see people come 2gether whether your 4 or against gamergate to gather 2gether and support an anti bullying charity and I would love to see a pro and anti gamegate debate on a neutral platform that promotes discussion and solutions10/20/2014 - 8:33pm
Neo_DrKefkaWhen someone was seriously hurt by a violent altercation. They have a prospective that people who have not had this experience lack. Bullying is a serious issue10/20/2014 - 8:30pm
Papa MidnightStraw Man to the fullest, but it gets the point across.10/20/2014 - 8:26pm
Papa Midnighthttp://i.imgur.com/dw0YPon.png10/20/2014 - 8:25pm
quiknkoldby doing something, Charitable Donations is an example.10/20/2014 - 8:06pm