Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

June 18, 2010 -

According to a report in Andriasang - citing Japanese business newspaper Nikkei - the Nintendo 3DS will allow users to install games on its internal storage media. While it wasn't stated in the report that some type of digital rights management would be a part of that equation, it is probably safe to draw such an conclusion assuming it's all true. Is this Nintendo's way of dealing with whatever R4 device is made to copy games on the 3DS?

According to Nikkei, 3DS users will be able to copy or install 3DS software to internal memory. This allows for multiple games to be stored in the system and gives users the ability to switch between them by selecting from the system's main menu. The paper goes on to say that this feature makes it so that users won't have to swap cartridges to play games.

Naturally all of this is unconfirmed by Nintendo. We'll follow this story as it develops..

Posted in

Comments

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

I'm calling BS on this feature.  I won't believe it until it's official.

It is somewhat believable if they set a limit to 2 games or something, but with Nintendo's track record on this sort of thing it doesn't seem likely.

Pwnage of Empires

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Im sure you'll need the original cart inside the 3DS to be able to play the installed games. Atlease thats how it is on the 360 and ps3.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Yeah, but that would then completely defeat the purpose of installing it on a 3DS. Installing it to the 360 or PS3 carries the advantage of reading it from the hard drive instead of the much slower DVD or Blu-Ray, whereas if you install it on a 3DS, you'd be reading it off a flash cart instead of...a flash cart.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Reports I've read commenting on the rumored feature suggest it isn't to increase load speed, but to make it so you don't have to carry the games around when you travel.

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

32GB flash mem is less than 50$ so it plausable.......or I dunno just allow people to put in SD cards of thier own.

On a side note the 3DS is a abre upgrade to the DS.....its rather sad....and no TV out......

---

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

You can already use your own SD card o nthe DSI.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Now to just wait for publishers to yank support at the mere mention of copying games.

Re: Nintendo 3DS Rumor: The Ability to Copy or Install Games

Apparently game cards are going to have a 2GB storage capacity at launch. Assuming that most games end up using most of that capacity, it seems to me like they'd have to have some crazy internal storage space for a handheld if they're going to support installing games (or at least more than a handful of games at once).
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm