M.I.A. Talks Videogames and Violence

June 24, 2010 -

It might be hard to believe that M.I.A., purveyor of such a violent (and politically charged) video for the song Born Free, would be worried about violence in videogames, but as a relatively new mom, she is.

The songstress, born Mathangi Arulpragasam in London, did spend time as a youth growing up in war-torn Sri Lanka, giving her a front row seat for violence in that country, before her family eventually moved back to the UK.

Speaking to Connect magazine, which CVG decoded, M.I.A. alluded to the fighting she witnessed growing up, saying that “My kid's gonna see it [violence], but he's gonna see it in computer games."

She continued:

I don't know which is worse. The fact that I saw it in my life has maybe given me lots of issues, but there's a whole generation of American kids seeing violence on their computer screens and then getting shipped off to Afghanistan.

M.I.A. added that, in her mind, exposure to virtual violence doesn’t prepare the viewer for real-life violence, “They feel like they know the violence when they don't. Not having a proper understanding of violence, especially what it's like on the receiving end of it, just makes you interpret it wrong and makes inflicting violence easier.”

Comments

Re: M.I.A. Talks Videogames and Violence

HUZZAH!

Re: M.I.A. Talks Videogames and Violence

"...exposure to virtual violence doesn’t prepare the viewer for real-life violence..."

Simply put, it's not meant to.  It is Fictional content.

Even Non-Fictional material, such as in a world history textbook or in documentary, text or video, can truly prepare you for the REAL violence.  Only experiencing the real acts of violence will "prepare" one for it.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: M.I.A. Talks Videogames and Violence

"Simply put, it's not meant to."

Well, sometimes it is, or at least pretends to be.  America's Army comes to mind.  And of course now there's a rash of games based in real wars, both historical and current.

I can see the concern about games as a recruitment tool.  But, as with any other concern in media, it's up to parents to determine what's appropriate for their children.

I can't access the article, so all I can see is the stuff quoted here, but from that it sounds like MIA's talking more about awareness than censorship.  But again, I can't access the full piece right now, so if somebody wants to correct me, do feel free.

Re: M.I.A. Talks Videogames and Violence

If anything, it's what training is for but (as the cliche of drill sergeant's always point out) naturally that only goes so far and is nothing like the real thing.

What does she want? A disclaimer that fictional content is nothing compared to the real thing?

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Goth_Skunk"The New Totalitarians Are Here" from The Federalist. http://ow.ly/Pjz3b07/07/2015 - 11:31pm
MattsworknameThere was a time in america when we needed unions and they served a good purpose, but that time hasnt been tbe case for about 20 years or more. The same could be said of our current system for teachers in higher educatoin,but thats a whole nother story07/07/2015 - 10:22pm
TechnogeekIn large part, though, that's an extension of the level of unjust deference given to police in general. Kind of hard to find any real grievances to defend against when the organizational culture views "complains about coworker" as worse than "murderer".07/07/2015 - 8:45pm
TechnogeekThat's a police union.07/07/2015 - 8:43pm
TechnogeekNo, police unions are worse by far. Imagine every negative stereotype about unions, then add "we can get away with anything".07/07/2015 - 8:43pm
Goth_SkunkeZeek: No, I do not agree they are union members.07/07/2015 - 7:48pm
E. Zachary KnightTeachers unions are just as bad as police unions, except of course you are far less likely to be killed by a teacher on duty than you are a cop. But they also protect bad teachers from being fired.07/07/2015 - 6:29pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, so you agree they are still union members. Thankfully we have a first ammendment that protects people from being forced to join groups they don't support (in most cases any way.)07/07/2015 - 6:27pm
E. Zachary KnightAh, police unions. The reason why cops can't get fired when they beat a defenseless mentally ill homeless person to death. Or when they throw a grenade into a baby's crib. Or when theykill people they were called in to help not hurt themselves.07/07/2015 - 6:26pm
Goth_SkunkeZeek: Non-union employees have no right to attend meetings or union convention/AGM, or influence policy. The only time they get to vote is whether or not to strike.07/07/2015 - 6:24pm
Infophile(cont'd) about non-union police officers being given hell until they joined the union.07/07/2015 - 4:58pm
InfophileParadoxically, the drive in the US to get rid of unions seems to have left only the most corrupt surviving. They seem to be the only ones that can find ways to browbeat employees into joining when paying dues isn't mandatory. I've heard some stories ...07/07/2015 - 4:57pm
Matthew WilsonI am old school on this. I believe its a conflict of interest to have public sector unions. that being said, I do not have a positive look on unions in general.07/07/2015 - 3:59pm
TechnogeekWhat's best for the employee tends to be good for the employer; other way around, not so much. So long as that's the case, there's going to be a far stronger incentive for management to behave in such a way that invites retalitation than for the union to.07/07/2015 - 3:10pm
TechnogeekTeachers' unions? State legislatures. UAW? Just look at GM's middle management.07/07/2015 - 3:05pm
TechnogeekIn many ways it seems that the worse a union tends to behave, the worse that the company's management has behaved in the past.07/07/2015 - 3:02pm
james_fudgeCharity starts at home ;)07/07/2015 - 2:49pm
james_fudgeSo mandatory charity? That sounds shitty to me07/07/2015 - 2:49pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, if Union dues are automatically withdrawn, then there is no such thing as a non-union employee.07/07/2015 - 2:38pm
Goth_Skunka mutually agreed upon charity instead.07/07/2015 - 2:33pm