PTC Member Urges Best Buy to Stock Mature Games on Higher Shelves

Speaking at a Best Buy shareholder meeting at the end of June, a Parents Television Council (PTC) Chapter Director urged the retailer to display M (Mature)-rated games on higher shelves.

Minnesota Chapter Director Phyllis Plum initially praised Best Buy’s efforts in enforcing videogame ratings, but then asked the company to “do more,” stating, “…speaking as one of your customers, a shareholder and most importantly, a grandmother, I’m asking why mature-rated video games cannot be placed on higher shelves.”

Plum cited PTC mystery shoppers as reporting that M-rated games were appearing on lower shelves, “accessible to children.”

She urged Best Buy to:

… demonstrate ‘respect, humility and integrity’ toward your younger customers as your website states, because we have to be constantly concerned with protecting our children and our members’ children from access to the extreme violence and indecency that has engulfed the entertainment industry, specifically in the area of video games.

Plum’s request, unfortunately, does not take into account short adults or exceedingly tall children.

Thanks EZK! | Image from HelloAuki

Arell says:

At my local Best Buy, all the game, music, and movie shelves are only 4 1/2 feet tall.  Even if you put them on the top shelf, they’d still be reachable by anyone older than 6.

mogbert says:

I feel that doing this would be a mistake. Shortly after giving them this consession, they would turn around and say that was good, but not enough as children could still access the games. They need to be locked up like in other stores. Then they will say it’s good that they are locked up, but they are still visable and tempting children, they should be kept behind the counter and require a photo ID inorder to see what they have.

I’m not talking slippery slope here. I’m talking "give them an inch and they will take a mile." Right now they are ALPHABETTICALLY sorted. If you don’t want your kid playing the game, LOCK the SYSTEM.

Flamespeak says:

Putting the ‘naughty games’ in one section does little except let the kids who are looking for them specifically know right where to go.

SimonBob says:

Interestingly, none of those titles are rated M, which means they’d all be exempt from the upper-shelf stocking proposal.

I guess Canadian Best Buys have different practises, or something.

lomdr says:

Same here.  And also, IIRC the best buy shelves are not really that tall in the first place.  And some kids can still get a boost without their parents being around by standing on the lowermost shelf that normally holds the larger accessories like the bunches of Perfect shots, the Wii Fit+ bundles, or the larger charging stations.

Andrew Eisen says:

God of War is obvious but other titles, maybe not so much.  Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, Backbreaker Football, Iron Man 2, Transformers, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Green Day Rock Band, Alan Wake, Record of Agarest War.  Those are a few of the top of my head where I’m unsure of the rating.  Mainly because I don’t care.  Yeah, I could probably guess with very high acuracy but why bother guessing?

Best Buy’s games are in alphabetical order but yes, they do pull a few copies of the high profile items and place them at eye level.

Andrew Eisen

E. Zachary Knight says:

I play games from all ratings. I take an interest in what my friends are playing and what they say about them. Often, the rating is one of the last things on my mind when hearing about a new game.

So my friends could be telling me about a new RPG and I would know what the game is about, but not know if it is T or E10 or whatever. Other games could be described in such a way as to be T or M when talking to friends.

Frankly, I would just like to know what the name is and find the game that way.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

SimonBob says:

Really?  I can’t think of a single title where I’d have that issue.  "Man, I wish I could find God Of War 3 on these shelves, but I just don’t know if a game where you rip off a deity’s limbs and beat him to death with them would be rated E or M!"

Aside from which, there are stores that stock games alphabetically, but to my knowledge Best Buy isn’t one of them — they usually put the newest releases on the top row, then the perennial bestsellers on the second.  To my mind, reorganzing by rating would be an improvement.

MonkeyPeaches says:

The reason some M rated games are on the lower shelves is because THE GAMES ARE IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER! Seriously, the shelves aren’t that high in the first place, so it wouldn’t make any difference.

josh111888 says:

Has anybody seen Rugrats?  Putting stuff on the top shelf doesn’t do a thing.

Furthermore, if an employee is willing to sell an M rated to a kid, then why wouldn’t he be willing to get it off the top shelf for them.

hellfire7885 says:

If Best Buy gives in the PTC will keep going until M rated games are gone from the chain altogether, then they’ll move on to Walmart and Gamestop.

If I owned a chain I wouldn’t want someone from an influential group as a stock holder. Hell, they likely only bought a stock to they can attend meetings.

Thad says:

The PTC believes that "parental responsibility" means that parents have the responsibility of demanding the government legally enforce their personal morals.

Zerodash says:

I don’t get it.  If Best Buy won’t sell the game to a kid, then who cares if little johnny can see the case?  Is merely looking at a picture of Nicco Beleck or Kratos going to turn them into a murderer?  Also, if a parent has a problem with their kid even seeing the game cases, then perhaps the child shouldn’t be allowed into the outside world at all.

Andrew Eisen says:

Because then the games won’t be in alphabetical order and it will be more difficult for us customers to find what we’re looking for.

Andrew Eisen

Thad says:

This is the PTC we’re talking about.  Anything short of a V-chip implanted directly into our brains is insufficient to them.

Me, I find it easier to find stuff sorted alphabetically than by rating, but what do I know.