GTA Said to Inspire Molotov-based Attempted Arson in MA

Claiming they were motivated by a Grand Theft Auto play session, a pair of Raynham, Massachusetts  boys were arrested after allegedly attempting to set fire to two buildings with Molotov cocktails.

The 12-year old and 16-year old tried to burn down a garage and an apartment building early Sunday morning with stolen gasoline poured into bottles, according to Enterprise News. The younger of the two suspects told police that “they got the idea from a video game they had been playing earlier in the night.”

Police Chief Lou Pacheco told the paper, (in a solemn voice, no doubt), “They appear to have crossed the line from virtual reality to reality.”

The boys were arraigned on charges of possession of an explosive device and attempted arson before being released to their families. The two are also suspected of going on a tagging spree as well, though thankfully there was no mention of the boys playing Mark Ecko’s Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure prior to that undertaking.

potatojones83 says:

They’re just stupid enough to go and do something like this, but just smart enough to know they can shift the blame if they say "they got the idea from a video game…".

asmodai says:

To make the best molotov cocktail, combine (half and half) dishwashing detergent and naptha lighter fluid (zippo fluid works fine but is expensive).  This will, in effect, give you napalm.  Insert the cloth and soak the top end with petrol or another primer that will not completely evaporate.  Light and throw at whatever you want to set fire.

10th grade science teacher taught me that… =)

Kids these days are aware that moron adults are buying in to the ‘games made me do it’ defense so they are using it.  Big effing surprise.

potatojones83 says:

Unless we want to say Sesame Street and Mr Rogers made me do it.

Well, it couldn’t have been Mr. Rogers. He was a sniper trained in the Marines. But that Elmo, with his fiery red fur…I’ve had my suspicions for years now. It’s all starting to make sense…

In all seriousness, they probably were wanting some attention and got more than they baragained for. Harsh as this may sound, I’ve got no sympathy for these idiots.

Weatherlight says:

They should have a talk with my mother. She could vouch that I burned the lawn multiple times by attempting to make stuff explode before I was introduced to computers. Unless we want to say Sesame Street and Mr Rogers made me do it.

This is just boys getting into trouble wanting attention.

gellymatos says:

Hey, man, what movies you got? I just shot up a couple a schools, and my lawyer said I should find a nice hot one.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

GoodRobotUs says:

I was setting light to ‘Gaz’ bottles when I was 12 at the local dump, nothing but curiosity makes young children to stuff like that.

So we have kids going out, scrawling graffiti on walls, stealing petrol and trying to burn down 2 houses. I think the problem is with the kids, not the computer games.

Bigman-K says:

So if some kids go out and attack a homosexual and claim they got their inspiration from the Holy Bible or Holy Koran does that mean those things need to be regulated and barred to anyone under 18. Of course Free Speech media such as video games and shape our thoughts and feeling and give us ideas and inspirations whether they be good or evil (it all depends on the individual) but Free Speech media can’t be banned or censored solely because it can do this.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

Father Time says:

"“they got the idea from a video game they had been playing earlier in the night.”

It appears as though they were all ready inclined to committ crimes and then just thought ‘woah that’s something evil and fun looking we haven’t tried. We should try it.’

AlexTaldren says:

Even if the claim is true, that an individual was influenced by a game to do something illegal, that doesn’t mean the thing that influenced the person should be regulated, banned, etc.  Now, if playing a game directly increased your blood alcohol level or made you hallucinate, then you could argue they are harmful, and thus require oversight.  Otherwise, any attempt to argue that there is a direct connection between a video game and a person’s actions is flawed.

Zerodash says:

I missed the part in GTA where it instructs you in the construction of said molotov.  Is the "games made me do it" the preferred defense these days?