BattleGoat Chief Not Enamored with Canadian Copyright Bill

BattleGoat Studios co-founder and co-owner George Geczy has called Canada’s newly proposed copyright bill (C-32) “unacceptable and entirely unbalanced.”

Specifically, Geczy takes issue with the digital rights management section of the Bill, and is strongly in favor of allowing consumers to break digital locks in order to make a back up, or to unlock content from companies that may have gone out of business or had their copyright expire.

In a letter on the subject, as reported by CBC News, Geczy stated, “While nobody would question the cultural significance and imperative for preservation of a Shakespeare play or Beethoven symphony, cultural media in the past decades has suffered significant content losses when commercial entities do not see a financial benefit in preservation."

Geczy also advocated going after large-scale counterfeiters, but believes that individuals who engage in infringement should be left alone.

He also complained that the Entertainment Software Association of Canada does not “speak for independent Canadian studios,” and criticized the organization for supporting C-32.

ESA Canada spokesperson Julien Lavoie responded by saying, “To infer that non-member independent video game developers don’t want legal protections for their copyrighted works is false.”

Lavoie continued “The proposed bill doesn’t obligate anyone to use technological protection measures — it simply gives creators the right to protect their work from theft if they choose."

olstar18 says:

I find it funny that you think he is saying drm is causing piracy when he is talking about people having to pirate to play the game they legally bought. Guy I know from work pirated spore to keep that malware from being downloaded onto his computer a second time after he got tired of it crashing. Tell me why is the pirated copy working better than the legal copy and I’m not just talkin about the crash but the fact that it had shutdown his antispyware program to.

E. Zachary Knight says:

That I can’t get behind.

I can understand them buying the game and then downloading the crack so that they don’t have to deal with the DRM. I can understand them not buying or downloading the game. But I cannot support nor do I understand the act of not buying the game and pirating it.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Trencher says:

I think your taking his comment a little to litteraly. I think he means it causes MORE people to pirate or "unlock" their products. I know plenty of people who refused to buy any Ubisoft games and would rather just download a fully patched/cracked ver of it off the internet. Those people WOULD of bought the game had it not included the DRM.

jedidethfreak says:

I find it funny that people keep saying that DRM causes piracy.  I don’t know if you know this, but piracy has existed for thousands and thousands of years.  DRM has not.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

madeofwinandawesome says:

I am glad to see more copyright owners coming out against this bill.  The fact that using technical protection measures overrides a consumers ability to all their fair user rights is totally unbalanced.  This will make two things happen: 1 – everything will then use DRM, and 2 – piracy rates will INCREASE as this will anger consumers and drive them to download more and more infringing works.

Provide what the consumer wants, in a method and format that they want it in and at a price the consumer deems fair and they will buy it.  Currently the rightsholders are failing – not the laws.

Also, the ministers in charge of this bill think that these TPM provisions are necessary to come up to WIPO standards and I think that this is incorrect.

DorkmasterFlek says:

Yeah, and using digital locks apparently trumps all fair use rights.  Bullshit, the digital lock section is atrocious and needs to go.