China Bans "Vulgar" Game Adverts

July 8, 2010 -

China’s Ministry of Culture has grown weary of online game companies using vulgar, violent or profane tactics in order to lure consumers to purchase their titles, so it has banned the practice.

The BBC reports that, beginning next month, Chinese officials will be able to force website owners to delete any vulgar content employed in online promotions. Supposedly, one model named Shou Shou (pictured), who was recently embroiled in a sex video controversy, was asked to promote a role-playing game while another unnamed Japanese adult film star was being used to draw attention to the Game Warrior OL.

“Social commentators” worried that the practice, though not illegal at the time, could “undermine the public's morals. “

The BBC added that, “The new policy has been covered widely in the state-controlled media and on websites here, accompanied of course by photos of the same scantily clad models who have upset the bureaucrats.” Who are we to break ranks?

Update: AFP adds a specific date for the implementation (August 1), while noting that users who sign up to play a game will also have to use "a valid identity card," after that date, a move which was alluded to earlier.

Comments

Re: China Bans "Vulgar" Game Adverts

She is cute. I would stop playing a video game to play with her but wait, is that not the goal of such policies?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- "The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" - Herodotus

Re: China Bans "Vulgar" Game Adverts

Must. Find. Video.

Actually, I let China do China. Seeing as I don't live there and such. Still an interesting article.

"

Re: China Bans "Vulgar" Game Adverts

What were they afraid men would do if they see these ads? Stop whatever they're doing and get their jollies in public? Maybe the government should just ride it out instead of predicting stuff when it comes to moral issues.

Gamesnooper

Re: China Bans "Vulgar" Game Adverts

Is any one really surprised? It's China. Nuff said.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm