Brazil's Fair Approach to Copyright Enforcement

July 14, 2010 -

Brazil seems to have taken a more compassionate and even handed approach to copyright protection, according to the Inquirer. The country has implemented rules that offer protections for both copyright holders and the public. For the public fair use is just as important as copyright infringement and so the rules take that into account. The rules also punish those copyright holders who game the system and bully people using copyrighted material under fair use.

This means that the law can be used on anyone that commits a copyright crime like illegally breaking copyright protection and sharing media, and any firm that uses unfair copyright protection tactics.

Canadian law professor Michael Geist recently talked about Brazil's approach on his blog, saying that it "establishes equivalent penalties for hindering or preventing the users from exercising their fair dealing rights." By his thinking "over-protection" of copyright is just as wrong as protecting it.

Source: Unite The Cows

Comments

Re: Brazil's Fair Approach to Copyright Enforcement

This is a good thing. Hope they don´t screw it.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Brazil's Fair Approach to Copyright Enforcement

The law makes sense and does not give the © holder unlimited power. It will be fought tooth and nail.

Re: Brazil's Fair Approach to Copyright Enforcement

It actually isn't that far from what we have in America - the primary differences are that the onus of enforcement is on the government and law enforcement authorities, instead of the copyright holder, thus punishments can and should be meted out in a more equitable manner.  However, I'm looking at this from the other side - how will the actual enforcement play out?  I'm personally skeptical of the law until I see how pirates are actually handled by it.

---

With the first link, the chain is forged.

--- With the first link, the chain is forged.

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am