Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

July 14, 2010 -

You'd expect America to be the standard banner for Net Neutrality, but we have to look to South America to find the very first country to get the job done. That country is Chile, according to a SlashDot report. Chile representatives voted for new net neutrality rules by a margin of 100 - 0. According to Slashdot, the rules read like this (a rough translation):

"No [ISP] can block, interfere with, discriminate, hinder, nor restrict the right of any Internet user of using, send, receive or offer any content, application, or legitimate service through the Internet, as well as any activity or legitimate use conducted through the Internet."

The law also has articles that force ISPs to do other things like require parental control tools, clarify contracts, "guarantee" user privacy and safety, and not to restrict any liberty whatsoever.

Source: SlashDot

Posted in

Comments

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

Congrats on making Net Neutrality a reality Chile!

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

"You'd expect America to be the standard banner for Net Neutrality"

Only if you'd been in a coma for the past 20 years.

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

It's actually quite embarassing for the USA in some ways, a country that was, in the early 70's recovering from a coup and guilty of a wealth of Human Rights abuses now has less trouble giving equal rights to it's citizens than the US does...

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

Wow... I was hoping us Canadians would be the first to flip off the corporate lobbies but I guess Bell, Rogers, and Telus have their claws in too deep. Damn shame. Congrats to Chile though. I am even more impressed that the bill went uncontested.

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

Eh Rogers, Bell and Telus use the CRTC to their advantage. I am hoping a reform happens to the CRTC...the big three telecoms have been gouging us for years x.x

Still though glad Chile gets it! Surprised like you that it wasn't contested.

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

Hmm, i was under the impression that the CRTC had rules in place to prevent net neutrality from ever being a problem up here.

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality

America in the standards bearer. It's just a lower standard as mandated by corporate lobbyists.

Re: Chile First Country to Make Net Neutrality a Reality