Vaizey Appears at Develop Conference, Reiterates Game Biz Support

July 14, 2010 -

Gathering up the strength to appear at the UK’s Develop Conference despite the government removing game industry tax incentives from its emergency budget, Shadow Minister for Culture Ed Vaizey walked a fine line—claiming that he championed the games biz, yet endorsing George Osborne’s plan to focus on the greater and more immediate financial needs of the UK.

In recounting a question to Vaizey about Games Tax Relief being offered in the future, the Guardian wrote that Vaizey was “non-committal, but offered a glimmer of hope." The MP stated, “I can't emphasise enough that I'm not the chancellor; it's just that in my view the treasury is always open to rational argument.”

Vaizey continued, “If you take the opportunity after the budget to look very hard at the kind of incentives you think the industry needs, particularly in order to attract foreign investment and also to compete across the world, then its up to you to decide the right focus and make that case."

TIGA head Richard Wilson appeared to take issue with Vaizey’s claim that a case had yet to be made, countering:

It was included in the March budget, for goodness sake. We convinced the treasury pre-election and we apparently convinced the Liberal and Conservative parties while they were in opposition – in fact, Ed Vaizey's on record saying that George Osborne agreed with him about tax breaks against games production, before the election. It would be fascinating to find out what happened between the March budget and the emergency budget.

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm