Does God Hate Nerds More Than Stupid People?

Kotaku reports that the notorious Westboro Baptist Church (who you may know better as the "God Hates Fags" sign wielding congregation out of Kansas) will be in San Diego next week to protest the "idolatrous worship" taking place at Comic-Con (thanks to Shoutbox user Rodrigo Ybáñez García for the tip!).

The activity will happen on July 22. To get an idea of where this group is coming from you need look no further than comments in its schedule of events section on its web site:

Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent – so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.

Commentary Alert: Looking at the sign in the picture above, it is hard to understand what these protestors are talking about. Are nerds like Esau – "hairy, immoral and dumb" as this site translates the twin brothers’ long ordeal? Are these protestors heirs as Jacob was? And how can they be heirs when they break the most fundamental rule of the New Testament? Namely "Thou Shalt Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself" (Mark 12:31)?

It might be time for some more Bible study, people. Still, sometimes free speech can be ugly and offensive – that’s the price of having those rights. And although I don’t know what God thinks of nerds, I draw the line at dudes dressed like Wonder Woman.

gellymatos says:

Forget about it. I got too defensive over it.

They actually have no affiliation with any other Baptist Church. They call them out with everyone else. They claim to be based off of primitive Baptist churches, but those baptists reject them. They also seem to have some calvinist based beliefs ie: unconditional election.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Titantim says:

Sorry, I take back the comment about the penance.  I forgot how much they hate priests.

Which is why I also added the the ridiculousness of kicking a unicorn in the balls.  In hindsight, I probably should have said to be kicked in the balls in the balls by a unicorn instead…  anyways….

They can’t just kick out people who have sinned in their congregation because they’d have nobody left.  To say that they’ve never sinned is blasphemy in itself.  I’m kind of curious to see how they attone for sins in that church.  Would it be the same as any regular babtists church?

gellymatos says:

Yeah, perhaps I did jump the gun a bit. It’s just that, if one is going to joke about an offensive group, don’t you think it would be better to get a joke on their thing, not a group they harass.

hellfire7885 says:

A little light for them.

After that they would then remove collector’s comics from their sleeves, smear dog crap all over them, then pile those and all the figures up, and probably snatch soemone’s prop weapon, pile it up, douse it in lighter fluid and burn it, declarign they’ll get ahold of everything in there and torch it too.

hellfire7885 says:

Easy now, he was kidding.

Besides, WBC members probably don’t beleive in penance or reptanance as i ntheir world they do no wrong.

hellfire7885 says:

All that, and i’m pretty certain that if there is some sort of devine being, he/she/it is very, VERY sick of people with agendas speaking for them.

gellymatos says:

"FOR SHAME! Now go say 10 rosaries, eat ice cream until you get a brain freeze, and kick a unicorn in the balls for penance.  😛"

Rosaries and Penance? That’s not their thing. Penance is done by catholics, orthodox, and anglicans. Rosaries specifically by catholics. Thanks for associating us with they guys that would sooner picket at our funerals, insult our members, and damn us all to hell with everyone else.

Titantim says:

Your argument makes perfect sense to a normal human being.

However if I was thinking in their shoes, they would believe that god himself/herself/itself would be guiding the translators so that it was a perfect infalable translation.  And you not being faithful enough to realize that it was translated by god is blasphemous in itself.

Flamespeak says:

Regular new comic book would result in an assualt charge against the person ripping it out of the guy’s hand. At least I would think a violent gesture resulting in limited physical contact should be viewed as such.

A Gary Gygax signed 1st edition copy of an Advanced D&D Players handbook gets ripped up? Guraunteed assualt, attempted/murder, battery, arson, vigilante, and other such charges will definitely be thrown against the nerds from the resulting fallout.

I don’t even want to think what would happen if they took some mint figures out their boxes and wrappings in front of that crowd…….

potatojones83 says:

I always laugh when these guys run around saying things like "And it says in the Bible in plain English" or take quotes from the Bible saying it’s the infaliable word of God. Here’s why.

The Bible was not originally written in english. Add to that the fact that it was origiannly written thousands of years ago and there is simply no way that the Bible, as it appears in english, is exactly what was orginally written. Furthermore every translator probably had their own biases and viewpoints that influenced things. Even more, sometimes there simply is no such thing as a perfect translation. As an example, when someone is hungry in english they say "I am hungry". This is their present state of being. In spanish one would say "Yo tengo hambre". Literally translated what the person is saying is "I have hunger". It is possible to say "I am hungry" in spanish, it would be "Yo estoy hambre". But if you say that, due to the spanish grammar rules, you would actually be introducing yourself with your name being Hunger. And that’s translating two live languages. With the Bible we’re talking about translating a dead language.

Now, I’m not trying to say there is no God or that the Bible wasn’t, at some point, His/Her/It’s word. The problem is, we know man is not infaliable or even honest at times, and after thousands of years of editing, translating and tampering with the Bible, it can hardly be considered the "infaliable word of God".

gamegod25 says:

"The destruction of this nation is imminent – so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry."

Sounds to me like pot calling kettle black. The only defference between the bible and a comic book is that they believe Jesus and God are real. And I don’t think anyone has been killed in the name of superman. See doesn’t feel good does it?

BTW I don’t have a problem with religion, everyone is free to believe whatever works for them. I just have a problem with zealots who force their own ideals on everyone else and place blame where it doesn’t belong.

Titantim says:

I think we all know what argument works with these dinks:

"There are no conditions for god…."

"You ain’t got no pancake mix!"

"But god hates Superman and…"

"You’re lying to these people! You ain’t got no pancake mix!!"

"Jesus shall…."

"There’s no pancake mix in there! You’re decieving all these people!"

Adamas Draconis says:

I’d give him the knotted rope so he can drive them away! (The hypocrites, not the nerds.)

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Adamas Draconis says:

I remember the Veteran Bikers surrounding them on their rides at funerals and reving everytime they opened their mouths. I do not care how loud you yell, your NOT being heard over 25 Harleys with their tailpipes blasting in your face.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

hellfire7885 says:

Well, let’s see, they slammed…..

Batman, Iron Man, Thor, Deadpool, Wolverine, Nick fury, the X-men, Superman, The Green Lanter, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Mario, Link, Vash the Stampede…..

that’s the problem with blank statements, EVERYBODY gets covered.

Aurontsubaki says:

Typical, angry christians (although I am one myself.) making idiots of themselves just to get their names in the papers. It’s starting to become a escapegoat for famewhoring now.

What we got here is failure to communicate!

Beacon80 says:

I’d love to see how they respond to a Jesus cosplayer (Yes, they exist) or even better, the Buddy Christ from Dogma cosplayer I saw a few years ago.

MechaTama31 says:

These guys have finally made a critical blunder though, and their days are numbered.

They just slammed the goddamn Batman.  I pity the poor fools…

guyveroz says:

You know if someone is willing to take the bullet for this they can sue whoever took and ripped the comic for vandalism. It is withing thier legal rights to protest but when they start defacing and destroying private property it’s tantamount to vandalism.

Mattsworkname says:

I would tell the WBC to go to hell, but that would be redundant I think.

So I recomend them come protest in Az.

It’d be funny to watch them sweating to death while the rest of us point and laugh from Air conditioned offices.

"My name is Lenard Church, and you will fear my LASER FACE"

udx says:

Not to call Fred Phelps and his band of psychos "Hypocrites," but I did some research on Sodom and Gomorrah and from what I read, it was not Homosexuality, but rather Greed and Pride that did both cities in.  The actual bible quote of Sodom

Ezekiel 16:49-50 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom: pride, fulness of bread, and careless ease was in her and in her daughters; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before Me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.

You can read more about it at

What is a game?(throws wine glass on the floor and it breaks to pieces) A miserable little pile of secrets.

lordlundar says:

Hmm, I get the feeling that they’re running low on funds. How does this theory come about?

The WBC gets a huge amount of their funding from the lawsuits filed when someone they’ve antagonized retaliates. Lately, epecially with the aid of anti-WBC groups, their attempts have been largely fruitless. Gays aren’t biting at their hand anymore, so they need to get a new group. Cue the term nerdrage. A group that gets enraged to the point of violence for little reason and, unlike a biker gang, isn’t likely to destroy them outright. They push a nerd far enough, and they will fight back. As well, if they hit the right target, it’s a massive windfall.

gellymatos says:

It would just be one new type of hater among dozens on youtube.

Carda says:

As a Christian myself, as well as what many would call a geek or a nerd, it sickens me to see people claim to be Christians while attacking my hobbies.

Word to the wise: These people do not represent the majority view of people of the Christian faith.  They’re yet another case of a small yet extremely vocal minority.  They misrepresent Christians and our faith, serving only to make us objects of ridicule.  Meanwhile, the real Christians are sitting at home, minding our own business, playing Team Fortress 2 with our buddies.  (Okay, not ALL of us, but you get the idea.)

Why do these people represent the public image of Christianity?  Because they’re the ones being obnoxious.  It’s newsworthy.  The news doesn’t care about the reasonable ones who don’t make a huge fuss, because that’s not interesting.  These people so much as announce a protest and it’s national news.

And because of the actions of the self-righteous, more people are driven away from the Christian faith.  It’s a sad state of affairs, really, and it makes me disgusted to see anyone attempt to drive a wedge between the two groups that I most readily identify myself with.

Uncharted NES says:

Here’s an idea, go to their protest and have a Dungeons and Dragons and comic book read sit down right in front of them. They want to protest in the name of God, then we can protest in the name of nerds. This isn’t the 1950’s comic book moral panic scare anymore and I bet they won’t expect us to express OUR free speech.

Veni, vidi, vici, I came, I saw, I conquered.

mdo7 says:

I read this yesterday on Kotaku.  These groups really piss me off and they are starting to make an ass out of themselves.  why the hell are they attacking nerd?  Attacking nerd is so 1950 to 1970.  I find their point just stupid and confusing.

Off topic: Did you know in Florida, a mother wanted manga ban in the library because she claim it made her son different.  She even sent him to therapy.  The worse part she is paranoid as Jack Thompson.  I wonder if that means anime/manga are next to be scapegoated beside video game.  I wonder if anime haters on Youtube will make a video saying they’lll side with game-hating politicians because they attack anime/manga for them.

black manta says:

Agreed.  As much as they’re actually asking to have exactly that done, that’s really the only thing that they’ll understand.  I can only guess the reason why the Federal Government hasn’t stepped in or Child Protective Services hasn’t tried to take the kids away despite the danger to their mental and physical well-being is because they don’t want another Waco on their hands.  Like the Branch Davidians, the WBC live on a compound of sorts, and it’s easy to imagine them behaving just as they did…with a similar outcome. :(

Father Time says:

I’d like to see the counter-protests. At this point they are getting desperate.

BearDogg-X says:

Probably, although I haven’t heard of anybody actually attacking those c***biting f***tards. It’s bound to happen if it hasn’t already.

Though the Circuit Court of Appeals that overturned Synder’s victory in District Court(setting up their hearing before SCOTUS) cited the Larry Flynt v. Jerry Falwell case(which encompasses parody).

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra. Hell will stay frozen over for quite a while since the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Saints(0-3), LSU(3-0)

BearDogg-X says:

A friend of mine on LiveJournal posted this months ago about those assclowns protesting at Ronnie James Dio’s funeral(and I do agree with the sentiment):

"These sons of bitches need to die. I’m not even kidding. Attempts within the legal system to get them to knock this shit off have all failed, it’s time to just start blowing the heads off of dozens of them every time they show up. Maybe then they’ll get the message."

Saints(0-3), LSU(3-0)

Flamespeak says:

Throwing insults at nerds, eh? I bet those geeks attending the convention won’t know how to act. I mean it isn’t like people give nerds a hard time for being nerds in their daily life. This will show the lot of them. [/sarcasm]

Kommisar says:

When I was at the University of Kansas, Reverend Fred Phelps (of Westboro fame) brought a group of protesters and picketed in front of the student union during the Gay-Bi Awareness week.  My room-mate at the time interviewed him for a Political Science class.  The best part of the interview went something like this:

Roomie: Can you tell me why are you here protesting the Gay-bi awareness week?

Phelps: In the state of Kansas, sodomy is illegal.  By promoting acceptance of homosexuality, the school is promoting an illegal activity.  It has nothing to do with liking or disliking gays, it’s just about the Law.

Roomie: Ok.  So… since over 70% of the student population is under 21 and can’t legally drink, does that mean we shouldn’t have an Alchohol Awareness week?

Phelps: That… well… I mean… it’s totally different!

Kincyr says:

the following is counter-logic for the WBC, and should it offend you, treat it as valid as anything the WBC themselves would say:

the Westboro Baptist Church should read and follow Mark 16:17-18, especially the part about poison. also, in Matthew 19:16-17, Jesus denies himself as "being good". furthermore, in Revelation 22:16, Jesus calls himself the "morning star", which St. Jerome translated, in Isaiah 14:12, the Hebrew word for "morning star" into the Latin term "Lucifer" (light bearer), a name commonly ascribed to Satan by Christians, and represents the fallen star, an ancient symbol for the fallen or evil one. also compare I Chronicles 21:1 and II Samuel 24:1

岩「hey Glenn Beck, I heard you oppose Net Neutrality, so we blocked your site.」

Magic says:

I remember a quote at school along the lines of "there’s more evidence for Jesus than there is for Julius Caesar" and several other figures. Historically, there is a huge amount of evidence and it’s a disservice to throw that aside out of spite for the Christian religion. There very, very likely was a Jewish revolutionary (That’s the closest word I can think of, pardon me if it’s in turn an exaggeration) in the Middle East who had followers and preached, indeed there were plenty of people like that from what I hear as the region was crying out for a messiah to help them against the Roman empire.

Regardless, there’s nothing wrong with viewing the bible as a historical document, one that likely has many parts true – just, to the non-religious, without any of the superstitious parts. In my opinion, the bible isn’t a complete lie, just overblown and exaggerated, to say the least.

Afirejar says:

There’s no evidence whatsoever for everyone who wasn’t a king or similar. None.

Although I find it funny (and it probably says all about your knowledge of the bible) that you mention Lilith, a Sumerian goddess, that (despite the attention she’s getting in other media) is mentioned in the bible exactly once, in passing, and doesn’t play any role in the book.

Technogeek says:

My understanding is that the biblical Jesus is by and large a composite of the various people running around Judea at the time claiming to be the Messiah. Was one of them named Yeshua? It’s certainly not impossible. That doesn’t mean he ever had any skill at carpentry, pissed off some temple moneychangers by throwing tables around, or cheesed off the local population enough that they would rather let a convicted murderer go free than him.

Kaiselius says:

Well, there was Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam. Though they weren’t the only people around, hell they didn’t even live in the same time period.

Bennett Beeny says:

Based on what evidence? The only extra-biblical evidence we have of Jesus existing is in Josephus’ book ‘Antiquities of the Jews’, which was written 60+ years after Jesus supposedly died. Josephus himself cannot have known Jesus – he was born after Jesus died. Other biblical characters have similarly poor – or worse – evidence.

jedidethfreak says:

Actually, with the possible exceptions of God, Adam, Eve and Lillith, all of the characters in the Bible actually existed.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

State says:

Personally I have no idea what you’re responding to, but I find it ironic that the Phelps family are moaning about people reading about fictional characters with superhuman powers in comic books, instead of reading about fictional characters with superhuman powers in the Bible.

gellymatos says:

Adding to the list: John Stewart (and his fans), Steven Colbert (and his fans), Al Gore, the Clinton family, Mormons, and all people that could count as "fans" of every person they’ve ever protested the funeral of.

Adamas Draconis says:

You forgot Wiccans and other Pagans. Either way I already have my card, Member #209 reporting for duty Ma’am!

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

gellymatos says:

Attention nerds. Your are eligable to join the Association of Guys who get Crap from Westboro. Our members are homosexuals, soldiers, jews, catholics, methodists, presbyterians, lutherans, baptists, orthodox, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, liberals, conservatives, Bill O’Rielly, Heath Ledger fans, Lady Gaga, Lady Gaga fans,  Michael Jackson fans, and most if not all nations of the world. Join us as we unite in laughter against them.

gellymatos says:

My bad. I should have remembered them. And I’m a "sir". Consider us even 😉

Positive_Gamer says:

As a Christian, those people make me sick.  Despite their claims, they are not christians.

Also, Christians don’t have problems with Harry Potter, Fantasy, SCi-fi, and all that stuff.  It’s the two people who did that has lead everyone to generalize that all Christians do.  I for one love Harry Potter, Sci-fi, and fantasy, and so does my pastor.

They should follow the "hate the sin, love the sinner" concept, not the "Hate everything and everyone and condemn them all" idea.

State says:

"Please don’t read about fictional characters with superhuman powers, read the Bible instead and learn about Jesus".

Says it all really doesn’t it.

I bet EA wishes it had a game to promote this year with their help.

nightwng2000 says:

Many of the superhero characters, within their own fictional world, have fought against becoming seen as "idols".  They have attempted to become "role models", individuals who try to live up to what they consider honor and ethics and hope that other "mere mortals" will learn from those lessons and become more than what they are as well.

Yes, in certain fictional situations, there are the "Anti-Heroes" and even the more brutal heroes who look down on those citizens who do little to help themselves.

Too bad people like the Phelps clan chose the path of bigotry and hate rather than being nonorable, ethical, moral role models themselves.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

gellymatos says:

"I wonder if that’s the real reason the Christians have been pissed at comics, D&D, Harry Potter and Fantasy and Sci-Fi in general?"

Last I checked, I had no religious issue with any of those.

black manta says:

First they protest at Ronnie James Dio’s funeral, and now this.  Apparently they’re getting too much heat from protesting at the funerals of homosexuals and dead soldiers, so they’re showing up at places like Dio’s funeral and the SDCC to see if they can get those people angered at them

(Incidentally, the case against them, Snyder Vs. Phelps, will be heard by SCOTUS around the same time as EMA Vs. Schwarzenegger, making for two VERY interesting First Amendment-related cases.)

At this point, I’m pretty sure they’re doing it both for attention and the money.  Phelps and his daughter are both lawyers, and are even more litigous than Jack Thompson ever was.  I think it’s less about what they believe, and more of a ploy to try and get people to attack them and then sue.  I’ve heard that they bring handheld cameras with them for just that reason so it can be documented in case it should ever happen.

I also think they’re just mad because our fiction is a lot better than their fiction.  I wonder if that’s the real reason the Christians have been pissed at comics, D&D, Harry Potter and Fantasy and Sci-Fi in general?  When your whole religion is based around angels and demons and the promise of a big apocalyptic war between the two, and other people come along with stuff that sounds cooler, I guess you’d probably be pissed at the competition, too.

And is it just me, or does Fred Phelps look like the Rev. Henry Kane from Poltergeist II?  The resemblance just makes him that much more creepier.

Nerd42 says:

LOL, these so-called Christians need to get their facts straight. We didn’t turn comic book characters into pagan idols. We turned pagan idols into comic book characters! I remember the one part from Batman the Animated Series where Zeus is being brought into Arkham Asylum after being caught by Batman and he recognizes all the rogues gallery villains as members of the Greek pantheon. Wonder Woman and Thor are straight out of pagan mythology, not even changed hardly at all, just adapted. Pretty funny LOL.

Anyways let’s not confuse these morons with real Christians please. black manta, that fiction IS "our" as in Christianity’s fiction thanks to Lewis and Tolkien. There’s alot of Christian philosophy in the last two Harry Potter books whether these Westboro numbskulls recognize it or not and Rowling borrows heavily from Lewis and Tolkien as does the whole fantasy fiction genre.

Christians invented the fantasy fiction genre when John Bunyan’s "Pilgrim’s Progress" was the second most widely owned and read book in the USA after the Bible, and it’s got knights and giants and dragons and all that stuff.