UK Implementation of PEGI Pushed to 2011

July 16, 2010 -

MCVUK carries word from the Video Standards Council (VSC) that a mandatory shift to the Pan-European Game Information (PEGI) ratings system in the UK will not be legally enforceable until April 1, 2011.

The UK’s Digital Economy act dictated that PEGI would become the single system for rating games, replacing a current implementation that utilizes PEGI in conjunction with British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) ratings.

While the Digital Economy bill passed in April of this year, the delay was blamed on it not yet being “made effective.” A portion of a statement MCV obtained from the VFC reads:

The Digital Economy Act has been passed in the UK but has not yet been made effective. This means there is no change in the procedure for releasing games in the UK. If a game is rated PEGI 18 it must be submitted to the BBFC for a legal classification. This is irrespective of whether it contains exempt content as it reflects the voluntary agreement made by the games industry to avoid confusion over 18 rated games. Games must also be submitted to the BBFC if the contain any extraneous video which is not part of the game. This includes trailers.

It is important to stress that no games must appear for sale in UK shops with a PEGI 18 logo prior to April 1st 2011.

Comments

Re: UK Implementation of PEGI Pushed to 2011

It's excellent news for publishers who get to have a BBFC 18 logo on their games, it's one of the great adverts for games.

Re: UK Implementation of PEGI Pushed to 2011

This is taking longer then I thought it would.

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm