GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

July 20, 2010 -

GameStop's new CEO, Paul Raines, imagines a GameStop web site that is more of a platform than an online retail space. In an interview with The Street, Raines said that he sees a future where the company's official website becomes "a multi-channel aggregator for gaming." buying content no matter what platform they enjoy - "mobile, console or any other platform."

But Raines concedes that U.S. consumers are slow to migrate to online sales of boxed and digital content. The biggest challenge, he claims, is consumer education. He also noted that Netflix is the model they are looking at as they formulate a strategy to create a one stop gaming platform:

"We have studied Netflix a lot, and most of their users still absorb physical content rather than streaming. Now we are looking to see how gaming compares. We are focusing on consumer acceptance. The world won't be all digital tomorrow, even though that's what people are claiming. In this business, users still want physical content," he added.

Of course the reason for that is how Netflix handles streaming; a good percentage of that content is rarely ever new and content owners have deals with cable companies and DVD sales to contend with. How GameStop can plug into an existing system like Xbox Live or PlayStation Network remains to be seen but it's certainly thinking outside the box.

Source: GI.biz

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

If they want to be a platform get acouple dev teams and build a system, otherwise sit down shut up and sale the mofo games you got......

---

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

"Of course the reason for that is how Netflix handles streaming; a good percentage of that content is rarely ever new and content owners have deals with cable companies and DVD sales to contend with."

Right -- if I get a DVD from Netflix instead of streaming it, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO STREAM.

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

Yeah, I prefer to have physical copy of games so I don't have to worry so much about how much harddrive space I have or I can just play the game right away rather than waiting for it to download.

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

I prefer it because I like to own things.

But the Netflix analogy is apt -- digital consumption is more like renting than owning.

james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am
james_fudgeodd why would they delete pro vita comments?10/21/2014 - 12:50am