JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

July 22, 2010 -

Denver-based used games retailer JJGames calculates that the used games business is worth about $2 billion USD. With all the talk of big publishers trying to find new ways to monetize a market dominated by the likes of GameStop, it is pretty interesting that new game sales for various platforms including PC are $20.2 billion USD, according to NPD Group figures for 2009.

According to research from JJGames, presented as an "infographic" and available on IndustryGamers, 47.3 million people buy used games every year; in 2008, Gamestop - the largest purveyor of used games sales - 23 percent of sales were from used games and it generated 42 percent of the company's profits, while 25 percent of new games sales generated 45 percent of the company's sales revenue. These revenues are based on an average used game price of $20 and an average new game price of $43.83.

You can check out the chart at IndustryGamer. Sources for the data are listed on the infographic, but JJGames' methodology for arriving at the chart's conclusion were not revealed.

Comments

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Take out the use game amrket and how much money has the new game market lost? Quite alot if you ask me..................

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

That's like saying publishers loose money because there are other publishers in the market.  Of course they're not making as much money as they could if they had a monopoly, that's the whole point of allowing a used market: to keep prices fair for consumers and to assure them fair market value for their property.

my vanity is justified

my vanity is justified

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Errr....I am saying the used game market opens up more possibilities to buy new games and without it you will lose money because you lose more potential sales than gain with people only buying new.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

I reread it.  It makes much more sense now with your clarification.  Sorry.

my vanity is justified

my vanity is justified

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Is cool I am a wee bit incoherent half the time :P

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am
MattsworknameYou know andrew, those are actualy rock solid ideas, I woudl like those features a bunch ,especially with games that a cut scene heavly. looking at you kojima!07/03/2015 - 1:18am