Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

July 26, 2010 -

The PC version of Kane & Lynch 2 will use Steameworks for DRM, according to Eidos. A PC demo of the sequel that managed to get Giant Bomb founder Jeff Gerstmann fired when he worked at Gamespot is also available at a 10 percent discount via the Steam discount program. Because the game supports Steamworks don't expect to find it on Stardock's Impulse if that's your distribution platform of choice - Stardock won't support any game going forward that requires the use of third-party software.

Kane & Lynch 2 , like other games that use Steamworks, requires the use of the Steam client, which provides DRM protection, along with multiplayer matchmaking, achievements, stats, and leaderboards. The game will be released on August 17 in North America and on August 20 in Europe. The game will be available on those dates for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Shacknews

Posted in

Comments

Re: Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

I was kind of hope for this to use Game for Windows Live, but its okay since steam is still better then GFWL.

Re: Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

Here's what Games for Windows Live does.  I have a friend playing Batman in my bedroom and I go into my living room with a friend.  We boot up my 360 and play raiden Fighter Aces.  My friend comes from my bedroom and bitches that the game just shut down mid battle because my 360 logged into my account.  Screw games for windows.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Re: Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

now I am a fan of microsoft and all but why in hell would anyone wish for gfwl?

it is horrible (I blame marketting people, the software is pretty nice but teh stupid rules and restrictions are stupid)

Re: Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

I am hoping that the putrescent pile of poorly working bloatware that microsoft summoned into existance through some occult ritual to annoy the shit out of pc gamers is not included in or anywhere near any game\product\satanic ritual ever again.

The difference between steam and gfwl is that steam work well enough, is useable and doesn't destroy peoples souls

But that's just my thoughts on the matter

Re: Kane & Lynch 2 to Use Steamworks for DRM

Forgot to mentio nthat Steam supports modding, if it's a game that can be modded and added to.

benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI like it, havent had any major issues.08/04/2015 - 5:45pm
MattsworknameSo, now t hta we have had time to mess with it, whats everyones view on windows 10?08/04/2015 - 5:43pm
james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am