Schilling Brushes Back Criticism About Move to RI

July 28, 2010 -

Curt Schilling, who accepted a guaranteed $75 million loan from Rhode Island and will move his game development company 38 Studios to the Ocean state from its current home in Massachusetts, took to the airwaves of WEEI to stand up for his decision.

Schilling, appearing on the Dennis & Callahan Morning Show earlier today, was asked, “In a perfect world, would you have liked Massachusetts to have shown a little bit more love and kept your company here?” Schilling answered, “Absolutely.”

He continued:

We made every effort to make that happen. It was made very clear to us that it wasn’t going to happen. With the exception of one elected politician, Congresswoman (Nikki) Tsongas who was in multiple times, and a lady running for State Treasurer (Karyn Polito), she was in the office a bunch of different times trying to figure out how she could maneuver something to happen. And then we spoke with (hopefully) future Governor Baker a bunch of different times, but the state’s focus has been on gambling, and they didn’t have the bandwidth and the interest to step in and play.

Schilling indicated that talks had been ongoing with Massachusetts officials for almost two years about keeping 38 Studios in the state, while a couple Canadian provinces and other U.S. states tried to lure the company to their locales as well.

The former pitcher added, “I can remember a discussion around Louisiana, which was very aggressive and has a lot of different programs lined up for new business… and somebody from Massachusetts said ‘Enjoy the Cajun food.’”

Schilling, while noting that the state would be on the hook for the $75 million loan if 38 Studios goes bankrupt or fails, stated that, “The chain of events that would have to happen for $1 of taxpayer money to be spent to repay this loan is pretty staggering.” He continued, “This, from the outset, has been an initiative to build a gaming cluster.”

If things go well, Schilling stated, 38 Studios could eventually hire some 2,000 people, far outreaching the 450 jobs currently being touted by Rhode Island and Schilling.

Meanwhile, in a bit of political grandstanding, Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee (R), and Independent Gubernatorial candidate, criticized his state for gambling on 38 Studios and intimated that he wasn’t sure if he trusted Schilling, claiming that some of his own teammates questioned whether the pitcher had faked a bloody sock donned by Schilling in game six of the American League Championship Series.

Schilling responded to Chafee’s comments by saying, “I’ve said it before, I’ll find a way to come up with a million dollars if somebody wants to go ahead and take the sock down and have the DNA tested and find out that it’s my blood.”

Chafee since apologized for his comments, to which Schilling noted, “It’s an election year.”

Comments

Re: Schilling Brushes Back Criticism About Move to RI

I'm confused as to why all these compnaies today rely so heavily on tax cuts and gov't loans.  Your business should be able to stand on it's own.  I just don't know what's broken; the business or the gov't.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm