Try Your Hand at Top Killling BP Spill

August 3, 2010 -

As new reports indicate that the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico at the hands of BP is now the largest “accidental” release of oil into water in history, South Pawlitico has released a fun (and admittedly simple) web-based game allowing players to try their own hand at plugging the broken wellhead.

Gulf of Mexicoil lets users attempt to utilize duct tape, old tires, the kitchen sink and crazy glue to stop the spewing, all while fighting ocean currents.

The worst oil spill of all time was intentional, according to CNN, and took place during the Gulf War when Iraqi army personnel released 240 million gallons of oil into the Persian Gulf. A Washington Post story indicates that the Deepwater Horizon disaster resulted in 205.8 million gallons (or 4.9 million barrels) of oil spilled.

The estimated numbers being bandied about are important as they could help calculate the maximum civil penalty BP might face for the spill.

For example:

If BP is found to have acted with "gross negligence" in the lead-up to the spill, the maximum penalty would be $4,300 a barrel, which would work out to $17.6 billion.

Also:

In all, the 4.1 million barrels estimated to have polluted the gulf would be enough to fill the Pentagon to a depth of 18 feet or to fill 260 Olympic swimming pools. The entire Gulf of Mexico, by comparison, would fill 880 million Pentagons, or 973 billion Olympic pools.

Comments

Re: Try Your Hand at Top Killling BP Spill

"Gulf Warm" = Gulf War???

Edit: Now that that has been fixed I can comment. I was recently talking with a friend that works for one of the oil companies that said that there have been much larger spills then either of those, specificaly in Saudi, where the environment has recovered just fine.

Off handed comment: Then again that was in/by a desert.

~Weatherlight~

~Weatherlight~

Re: Try Your Hand at Top Killling BP Spill

If it's in the desert, then the oil isn't going to be spread around by water currents and deposited into various beach nesting areas. Instead, it will just be in a local area, making it easier to contain and cleanup.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm