Carnival Games Let Populace Target Obama

While they aren’t electronic, these interactive games sure feature a political bent.

A game that allowed carnival goers to shoot an apparent likeness of President Barack Obama made news last week, before the President of the amusement company behind the attraction pulled the game.

Goodtime Amusements had used an effigy of the President—easily identified by the “Health Bill” he was holding and the Presidential Seal on his beltbuckle—in a game called “Alien Attack,” in which users fired foam darts at targets. One lady was appalled, saying, “You got a stuffed animal for becoming a sniper.”

Following complaints and an investigation into the game by the Secret Service, Goodtime Amusements head Irvin Good shut down the game, stating, “I guess we made an error in judgment and we apologize for that.”

He added, “I voted for the man. It wasn’t meant to be him. If they took it that way, we apologize.”

Meanwhile, one videographer who read about the game recalled seeing a similar offering in Seaside Heights, New Jersey and (thanks Gawker) brought his video camera to document the action. This game features patrons throwing baseballs at likenesses of Obama, who appears alongside representations of the Burger King, the Joker, Stewie from Family Guy and a member of the Boston Red Sox.

The man being filmed playing the game hurls profanity at Obama’s likeness before walking away with his prize—a funnel. Snooki would be proud.

Vinzent says:

The video shows a person throwing balls at plates the characters are holding. I don’t see a problem with that either.

But the video is not showing the actual game that caused the uproar, just another game that featured Obama. The actual game from the article was a shooting gallery, where people shooting the president.

While it is certainly in bad taste, I don’t think we can say it shouldn’t be allowed as free speech, escpecially when we gamers are argueing that games aren’t murder simulators.

Shahab says:

I think it was a bit in poor taste but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be allowed. Of course I don’t think anyone claimed the owner did anything illegal, he pulled it b/c of the controversy. I voted for Obama btw. Satire is satire and America is America where you are free to do anything short of harming another’s person or property no matter how stupid.

jedidethfreak says:

You really think there were less people who wanted George W. Bush dead?

Are you just ignorant or completely stupid?

With the first link, the chain is forged.

HunterD says:

I don’t recall the folks camping at his house, I may have been distracted with other issues at the time.

Although I must ask if any of those camping out were toting assault rifles?

As to the movie, from what I’ve read the movie has Cheney as President passing an even MORE extreme version fo the Patriot Act after Bush died.

Considering the Patriot Act was pretty much the go to "This is why Bush is a horrible president" for most ‘liberals’ I’d say showing that the assassination of Bush could cause an even more extreme version of it to be passed would be considered a NEGATIVE to most who disliked Bush.

If the movie had some "Yeah, things get better" ending, I could buy it as advocating assassination, but it doesn’t, the assassination makes things worse (from a left-wing perspective anyway).

If the concept is "Things get worse if this happens" it’s not advocation of the "this"

It’s like saying that god-awful "C.S.A: Confederate States of America" is somehow a PRO Confederate movie.

jedidethfreak says:

Yeah, because none of the people camped out AT HIS HOUSE ever did anything untoward, right?

And no, that movie outright advocated Bush’s death.  You’re an idiot if you took it otherwise.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

HunterD says:

There was a strong dislike of Bush, sure.

But I don’t recall people showing up with signs saying "We came unarmed THIS TIME", or Democratic politicians talking about how people might consider "2nd ammendment remedies" to the "problem" of George W. Bush.

Yes, there was the one movie, but it also presented the idea of assassinating Bush as a BAD ONE that would lead to pretty much everything people hated about his Presidency getting WORSE.

It was more a "Look, even if you hate the guy, killing him is a horrible idea" movie.

Zerodash says:

I think there was just as much animosity towards George W, who was even more hated than Obama.  Hell, Hollywood even made a movie about him being assassinated.

hellfire7885 says:

There’s also the fact that so many seem to want bad things to happen to Obama. Wasn’t long ago people were beinging loaded assault weapons within range.

Neeneko says:

Which is why I am surprised this is getting much press.

Though I imagine one element is that there is so much rhetoric out there about actually killing obama that some people are a bit more uncomfortable with a ‘shooting’ game.   While Bush was lampooned, there was much less talk about violently taking him out, and Clinton while there was some it was not nearly as pronounced.

And looking at the picture, another problem might be that figuring out how to characture obama in a way that does not resemble the exagerations and general art styles that were part of racist movements over the last century or two.   It does bare some resemblence to the old artwork that was part of the ‘black people are really monkeys, a lower form of human’ meme from years back.

Zerodash says:

Meh, Seaside has had those types of games every year I can remember- and I’ve lived there for nearly 30 years.  When George W was president, he was a staple of the attractions.  Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden, Bill Clinton, OJ Simpson, and a plethora of others have been featured.

Of course, this time it’s racist because it’s impossible to have any discussion, political satire, or ANYTHING revolving the president in a non-flattering light without it being racist.  Which is why I think a race war will break out if he isn’t re-elected (and hence why he has my vote in 2012).