The Machinarium Pirate Amnesty Sale

Indie game developer and publisher Amanita Design has announced a Pirate Amnesty Sale to encourage the purchase of its point and click adventure game, Machinarium (Mac, PC, Linux). The sale, which runs until August 12, is a smart assed response to internal figures it has unearthed showing that only 5 – 15 percent of those playing the game have actually paid for it. During the sale the game will be available for a mere $5 – down from the usual $20.

Part of the reason the game is so widely available and apparently heavily pirated is because the company chose to release it without any kind of DRM protection. For doing that Amanita Design deserves a bit of credit and some respect.

So how can it get that respect? By those that are enjoying the game to pay a little something for it. Here’s a message from the developers on the sale:

Everybody who downloaded our game illegally (for free) has now a chance to redeem himself and get the latest version of the game (Win+Mac+Linux) and it’s fantastic Soundtrack only for $5 (instead of $20).

We released the game DRM free which means it doesn’t include any anti-piracy protection, therefore the game doesn’t bother players with any serial codes or online authentication, but it’s also very easy to copy it. Our estimate from the feedback is that only 5-15% of Machinarium players actually paid for the game. If you decide to buy the game, you can be sure you’ll support directly the developers, not any big publisher or distributor.

While the sale is geared towards those that pirated the game, Amanita Design wants to encourage those that don’t own it to also take advantage of the $5 price tag. No judgments on anyone that wants to pick up the game – for whatever reason.

Source: IMG

BCD303 says:

i got this game a few months back for about $30 AUS

fantastic. my GF and house mate and i sat im my room and we all put our heads together to solve the problem. BRILIANT , puzzles are great , and nice humor 8.5 out of 10% . worst part was when i finished i wanted to play on.

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

Michael Chandra says:

Good that you hate that argument. How does it have anything to do with this discussion, though? They never said anything about lost sales.

vellocet says:

Some games have things like leaderboards and stuff that call back to the games servers.  They can tell how many people are playing versus how many people have purchased.

Which is the argument they’re making here.  They didn’t say that a pirated copy was a lost sale.  They’re saying that of all the people using their product, up to 90% of them did not pay for it.

jedidethfreak says:

Well, your argument is just as BS as the stats, since you also have nothing with which to back them up.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

Craig R. says:

The game – which I’ve never heard of – could’ve been heavily pirated even with DRM. Although ‘heavily’ is a matter of perspective, seeing as we have no idea how many copies of this game have sold. I’m guessing not so many as to qualify as worthy of the word ‘heavily’ being applied anywhere near it.

I also hate the argument that pirated copy automatically equals lost sale, seeing that people who pirate it will buy it (no, we don’t know how many), and people who pirate it may never play it in the end either (no, we don’t know how many).

Throwing around nebulous numbers like 90% is just that: typical bs statistics that can be made up on the spot.

Arell says:

I bought it when it first came out.  I’m nostalgic for the old point-and-click adventure games, and it got good reviews.  That said, it was too short to be worth the $20 I paid for it.  Yeah, bargin bin pricing, but it’s really short.  I think I finished it in two nights.  Some of the puzzles wll have you scratching your head, but in a good way.  The game also gives you hints on how to solve puzzles, but only if you want the hints.  The hints are hidden behind a boring minigame that makes you really want to figure the solutions out on your own.  There is no dialog, but the vocalizations of the various robots work very well.

Sort of reminds me of Limbo that just came out.  Brilliant game, but not quite worth it’s initial price.  $15 for a 4 hour game is too expensive.

Monte says:

I never pirated it, but i think i’ll take advantage of that sale… really, I do hear good things about indie games, but I usually don’t have enough interest in them to pay $20 for them(for added clarification, i rarely buy AAA titles when they are $50-60 either… with a few exceptions). All the indie games I have bought was when they were on sale on Steam.