A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

August 9, 2010 -

The sleepy hamlet of Beacon, located in upstate New York, is not a fan of pinball machines.

A CNN story details the problems a local man had after opening a retro arcade museum in the town. After 18 months of operation, Fred Bobrow was forced to shutter his operation because of an “arcane” law in town that bans pinball machines within the city limits.

George Mansfield, a member of Beacon’s City Council explained how the law may have come about:

Arcades in the '70s may have represented something, you know, maybe, that a community wouldn't want on their main street, or that it would attract a bad, you know, kids or whatever.

While the town, reportedly, is looking into reversing the ban, the City Council is moving very slowly and any changes will not be enacted in time to benefit Bobrow. Beacon Mayor Steve Gold stated, “Uh, the legislative process really does take its time and council's really looked very closely at all of the letters of the law, and look ahead to the future.”

Comments

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

Pinball Illegal!? What the sam hell have these councilmen been smoking?! I feel sorry for Mr. Bobrow, he got screwed big time. This must be the first step in the rebirth of prohibition. By now, Jack Thompson is probably laughing his ass off at this pointless ban.

What we got here is failure to communicate!

What we got here is failure to communicate!

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

This is why we need Term Limits....

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

A court challenge would probably get through quicker than a legislative review.

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

It would take about the same time, maybe even longer, to over turn the law through the courts.

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

"Arcades in the '70s may have represented something, you know, maybe, that a community wouldn't want on their main street, or that it would attract a bad, you know, kids or whatever"

Sounds like they may have laws against literacy and the english language as well.

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

Quite frankly, the last time this town 'looked to the future' was when they saw it overtake them about 20years ago....

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

I saw this the other day and it basically sounded like they just didn't feel like doing anything to fix an arcane law and just let this guy loose his business.  Sad to hear but at least a few places like Siverball (http://silverballmuseum.com/) still exist within driving distance for me.

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

"There has to be a twist"

Re: A Town Where Pinball is Illegal

Sounds like a law that was never enforced up until now. I get the feeling his operation was going fine until some elderly person with a cactus up their ass decided they didn't like a place where young people congregate.

Also, the start of the sentence makes that elected official sound incompetant. I'd be moving to vote his ass out already. Hell, both city council members sound unintelligent when they speak.

If Marvins' Marvelous Mechanical Museum, a local sort of coin op arcade were to die under a similar law, I think I might cry. Seriously, there are not enough old school coin op place left. One I knew of in Franekmuth Michigan is gone, and it had an awesome coin op train set. And with Gameworks gone arcades are rapidly dying. Arcades offer an experience you can't get at home with all the unique ways to play.

Poll