Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

August 10, 2010 -

Chip maker Nvidia has won a $25 million grant from the Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in order to create high-performance supercomputers that leverage the power of graphics processing units (GPU).

Nvidia has long been an advocate, obviously, of the computational powers of GPUs, which have been adapted to a wide variety of uses, from CT scans, to research labs, to Wall Street. Venture Beat reports that the win will see Nvidia operate under a four-year contract and build “a new class of ‘exascale supercomputers’ that are 1,000 times more powerful than today’s supercomputers.”

Nvidia was one of four to be chosen to build a prototype system, joining Intel, the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and the Sandia National Laboratory. The groups will operate under DARPA’s Ubiquitous High Performance Computing (UHPC) program, which has the modest goal of “re-inventing” computing.

UHPC emerged from President Obama’s Strategy for American Innovation directive.

Comments

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

he he, well jokes aside this sort of thing is pretty exciting. mostly because when you are talking about that much power we will be talking about hardware that will be able to support programs/games that are curently way out of our reach. new types of games, maybe ever virtual reality. probably the 1st thing we will see is the increase in the numbers of FULL ON 3d games. pretty exciting time to be alive if your a gamer IMO.

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

Probably not, Crysis 2 will require much more computing power than is fesible in 100 years from now:)

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

"The real question is whether these new computers will be able to run Crysis 2 with 24x anti-aliasing at 1680x1050 and realize an acceptable frames per second level?"

My guess would be "yes" along with like 20 outputs for 360 degree 3d monitors and make me a sandwich and fetch my beer. a foot rub would be nice too.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm