Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

August 10, 2010 -

Chip maker Nvidia has won a $25 million grant from the Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in order to create high-performance supercomputers that leverage the power of graphics processing units (GPU).

Nvidia has long been an advocate, obviously, of the computational powers of GPUs, which have been adapted to a wide variety of uses, from CT scans, to research labs, to Wall Street. Venture Beat reports that the win will see Nvidia operate under a four-year contract and build “a new class of ‘exascale supercomputers’ that are 1,000 times more powerful than today’s supercomputers.”

Nvidia was one of four to be chosen to build a prototype system, joining Intel, the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and the Sandia National Laboratory. The groups will operate under DARPA’s Ubiquitous High Performance Computing (UHPC) program, which has the modest goal of “re-inventing” computing.

UHPC emerged from President Obama’s Strategy for American Innovation directive.

Comments

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

he he, well jokes aside this sort of thing is pretty exciting. mostly because when you are talking about that much power we will be talking about hardware that will be able to support programs/games that are curently way out of our reach. new types of games, maybe ever virtual reality. probably the 1st thing we will see is the increase in the numbers of FULL ON 3d games. pretty exciting time to be alive if your a gamer IMO.

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

Probably not, Crysis 2 will require much more computing power than is fesible in 100 years from now:)

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

"The real question is whether these new computers will be able to run Crysis 2 with 24x anti-aliasing at 1680x1050 and realize an acceptable frames per second level?"

My guess would be "yes" along with like 20 outputs for 360 degree 3d monitors and make me a sandwich and fetch my beer. a foot rub would be nice too.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm