Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

August 10, 2010 -

Chip maker Nvidia has won a $25 million grant from the Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in order to create high-performance supercomputers that leverage the power of graphics processing units (GPU).

Nvidia has long been an advocate, obviously, of the computational powers of GPUs, which have been adapted to a wide variety of uses, from CT scans, to research labs, to Wall Street. Venture Beat reports that the win will see Nvidia operate under a four-year contract and build “a new class of ‘exascale supercomputers’ that are 1,000 times more powerful than today’s supercomputers.”

Nvidia was one of four to be chosen to build a prototype system, joining Intel, the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and the Sandia National Laboratory. The groups will operate under DARPA’s Ubiquitous High Performance Computing (UHPC) program, which has the modest goal of “re-inventing” computing.

UHPC emerged from President Obama’s Strategy for American Innovation directive.

Comments

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

he he, well jokes aside this sort of thing is pretty exciting. mostly because when you are talking about that much power we will be talking about hardware that will be able to support programs/games that are curently way out of our reach. new types of games, maybe ever virtual reality. probably the 1st thing we will see is the increase in the numbers of FULL ON 3d games. pretty exciting time to be alive if your a gamer IMO.

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

BCD303 "Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out."

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

Probably not, Crysis 2 will require much more computing power than is fesible in 100 years from now:)

Re: Nvidia Banks $25m Pentagon Research Grant

"The real question is whether these new computers will be able to run Crysis 2 with 24x anti-aliasing at 1680x1050 and realize an acceptable frames per second level?"

My guess would be "yes" along with like 20 outputs for 360 degree 3d monitors and make me a sandwich and fetch my beer. a foot rub would be nice too.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am
MattsworknameYou know andrew, those are actualy rock solid ideas, I woudl like those features a bunch ,especially with games that a cut scene heavly. looking at you kojima!07/03/2015 - 1:18am