Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

August 17, 2010 -

Realtime Worlds has gone into "administration" according to a report on Gamasutra. The confirmation of this comes on the heels over an earlier report this morning on sister publication Develop. The company that created Crackdown and All Points Bulletin will now be under the watchful eye of UK-based corporate recovery group Begbies Traynor.

Begbies Traynor will look deeply into the financial soul of the company and figure out if it can find a way to survive by selling assets or if it will have to close its doors altogether. Administration is equivalent to bankruptcy here in the United States in case you didn't figure that out already.

The Administration follows what should have been a profitable time for the Dundee, Scotland-based company founded by Grand Theft Auto creator Dave Jones; two months ago the company launched its first MMO the gritty urban action game All Points Bulletin, but the game didn't do as well as the company had expected, forcing it to (recently) cut some 60 employees from its staff. The company also recently unveiled a social virtual game world called Project: My World, but media reports indicate that it couldn't secure a deal to finance the game.

While the company's fate is uncertain it would be a shame to lose the developer that brought us the original Crackdown. We'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

Source: Gamasutra

Posted in

Comments

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

This stinks as I bought APB in hopes that they would eventually release enough patches to make it in to a servicable MMO universe. I like the idea of a MMO shooter, but the execution on that idea is at this time incomplete.

I guess there is little chance now of them making the game better for those of us who bought the game? More importantly... I just went out to Steam and I see: "Buy APB All Points Bulletin for $49.99." The big "what if" is that lets say you buy this today and Realtime Worlds goes belly up? Is "company want under" a viable reason to get your money back? I seem to remember Valve/Steam being hard to get a refund from? Is that still true?

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

After releasing the god awful APB this was expected to happen to Real Time Worlds.

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

I'll be stupid enough to argue that this is somehow Microsoft's fault.  I think that when Microsoft pulled Crackdown from Real Time Worlds, they lost a game that would have garnered them crucial sales during this time.  Also, Crackdown 2 sucked and had none of the charm the original had.

Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm