TIGA Responds to Realtime Worlds News

August 18, 2010 -

Calling it “terrible news,” UK game industry group TIGA has reacted to word that  Scottish developer Realtime Worlds is going into administration with a call for action directed at the "Scottish videogames industry in particular and the UK games sector in general.”

TIGA CEO Dr. Richard Wilson called for Games Tax Relief to be introduced at the “earliest opportunity,” the beefing up of R&D tax credits and the formation of business incubators which could assist with the formation of a “new wave” of videogame development firms.

Wilson also stated that games clusters “should be consciously supported” and that higher education should be adequately funded with a renewed focus on STEM subjects.

Speaking to the employees and owners of Realtime Worlds, Wilson said, “On behalf of the video games industry, TIGA would like to express its condolences to everyone at Realtime Worlds. We wish you the best of luck for the future.”

He added that, despite the news, “Dundee and Scotland remain good places to do games business.” Wilson continued, “We still hope that Realtime Worlds will find a buyer. Whether this transpires or not, we need action to ensure that our video games industry comes through the current turmoil in as strong a shape as possible.”

As noted yesterday, administration, in the UK, is equivalent to declaring bankruptcy in the states and Realtime Worlds will have to see if it can survive by selling assets, or if it will have to close up for good.

Comments

Re: TIGA Responds to Realtime Worlds News

Well some of the games companies shouldn't lobby against tax breaks.

Poll