Pro Athletes Against Proposed Michigan “Right of Publicity” Bill

August 19, 2010 -

A proposed House Bill in Michigan that deals with the rights of an individual to control the commercial use of his or her “name, likeness or persona,” has drawn fire because of, among other things, an exemption for videogames.

HB5964 (full bill text) was introduced earlier this year on March 18, but has yet to be voted on since being referred to House Judiciary Committee that same month. Violators of the bill would be “liable for actual damages attributable to the unauthorized use of one or more of the personality’s attributes, including profits attributable to the unauthorized use not taken into account in computing actual damages, or $1,000, whichever was greater. “

The long list of exemptions in the bill’s text states that consent would not be required “for the use of one or more of personality’s attributes in any of the following works in any medium now known or hereafter used or devised, regardless of length or format.” The list included videogames, original works of art and various forms of media, such as magazines, newspapers or sports broadcasts.

These provisions caused Okalahoma City Thunder guard Morris Peterson and a variety of other athletes to complain to a state House committee that they opposed the bill, since “the measure would make it too easy for videogame and souvenir manufacturers to use their likenesses without athletes' permission.”

Comments

Re: Pro Athletes Against Proposed Michigan “Right of ...

I'm actually behind this since someone ripped off a roleplaying character of mine.

Re: Pro Athletes Against Proposed Michigan “Right of ...

You linked to a summary of the bill up there, not the actual text (which is here).

And yeah, considering that the "original work of art" exemption applies to "any medium now known or hereafter used or devised, regardless of length or format", I can see a strong argument that souvenirs would fall under the category.

Re: Pro Athletes Against Proposed Michigan “Right of ...

I don't see souvenirs on the allowed list, so the pro athletes' argument is void.

岩「hey Glenn Beck, I heard you oppose Net Neutrality, so we blocked your site.」

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Re: Pro Athletes Against Proposed Michigan “Right of ...

I could see it being covered under 'original art'.

prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm