Teenager Plays DDO to Forget Murdering, Raping Disabled Teen

This is not the kind of endorsement you want, no matter who you are. A Seattle man that raped a disabled teen girl said that he coped with the guilt of his crime by playing Dungeons & Dragons Online. That’s what an 18-year-old Seattle, Wa. high school student named Tyler Wolfegang Savage eventually told police.

Tyler told police after several meetings that he killed, then raped developmentally disabled teen, Kimberly “Kimmie” Daily, then played video games to forget. The 16 year old Kimmie went missing Aug. 17 after leaving her Puyallup home to go to a friend’s house. She never made it to her friend’s house.

After confessing to the crime, Savage led detectives to a large thicket of blackberry bushes and brambles not far from his home, where they found Kimmie’s body. According to Pierce County Superior Court papers, Kimmie’s body was found more than 100 feet deep in the thicket with her bicycle thrown on top of her lifeless naked body.

Court documents further detailed the confession; According to charging papers Savage told detectives that, after he tried to convince Kimmie to go with him to the brushy area near his house, she protested because she knew she wasn’t supposed to cross the street. After some coaxing, Savage said that he finally convinced her to go with him. He led her to "50 feet into the brushy area of a vacant lot approximately two blocks from Savage’s house and out of sight of the roadway."

The rest of the crime, which I won’t repeat here, is detailed in this Examiner.com report. After committing the crime Savage went to a neighbor’s house and played Dungeons & Dragons Online to forget what he had done.

Oddly enough Savage pled not guilty to the charge of aggravated first-degree murder. Savage could face the death penalty for his crimes. He is being held without bail in the Pierce County Jail.

A PDF file of the court documents can be found here [warning: these documents contain explicit details of the crime.]

Andrew Eisen says:

Did a quick read of his Wikipedia page.  Hell of a story.  From what I read, he shouldn’t have been convicted in the first place, let alone put to death.  It’s interesting to note that while he wasn’t proven guilty, he wasn’t proven innocent either.  He may have done it.  Of course, as I said earlier, capital punishment should not be used if there is any doubt.  Hopefully, he did it or was guilty of something else deserving of his fate.

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

I support the death penalty when there’s no doubt that the accused is guilty, like if he was caught doing it or confessed.  But yeah, I do agree that capital punishment should not be employed when there is any doubt.

EDIT: While I can find info on the number of executions (about 1200) and the number of folks on death row that have been exonerated (about 130), I can’t find any info concerning how many people have been wrongly put to death.

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

I’m aware of that but I was just surprised that he was the name that popped up.  I would have expected someone more local.  Plus, Vaz has been laying off the anti-game rhetoric of late.

Andrew Eisen

Shahab says:

To be fair I DID feel like murdering someone after playing Manhunt. That person being the head of development behind Manhunt. (Disclaimer: preceding comments satire. You got that JT?)

Zerodash says:

Years ago, some kid in the UK murdered another kid.  The murder victim owned a copy of Manhunt.  Keith Vaz claimed that the murderer played the game and did it because of it.  Even though the true role Manhunt had in the affair has been clarified ad nauseum, Mr Vaz continues to this day to say the game caused the murder.

vellocet says:

According to some, we’re all mass murderers and rapists just waiting for the right stimulation to set us off.

I can’t help but be afraid of the people that think this sort of thing since people tend to base their images of other people on their image of themselves.

SimonBob says:

Could’ve been worse — he didn’t go to a theater and buy a ticket to Scott Pilgrim.  Then video games and movies would be to blame.

(I kid because I’m downright shocked by the horrific nature of this crime.  Death’s too good for this monster.)

GoodRobotUs says:

There will be those, I suppose, who will put the cart before the horse.

The man is very sick, and needs to be removed from society and helped if possible, but it should be noted that, after Tiger Woods cheated on his wife, he played Golf, no-one would even consider suggesting that Golf is a cause of infidelity, the problem is, that kind of common sense gets muddled when computer games are involved.

Shahab says:

Should this guy be killed for what he did? I think so and so would many Americans I think. Does this mean that capitol punishment is a good idea? No, and let me tell you why.

I don’t know how many people here are old enough to remember when DNA evidence was a new thing and when it was finally deemed accurate enough to be used in trials? Remember the many, many people on death row who ended up being exonerated through the use of DNA evidence?

Basically our justice system isn’t good enough at convicting only the guilty to consider a death penalty. If even one innocent person is put to death rather than at least able to live out their life in prison and even hope for eventual exoneration, that is one person too many. The fact is though the its far more than one person who has been wrongly convicted of a capitol offense and executed.

Until we have a perfect justice system I can not and will not support the death penalty. Even in cases that warrant it.

jedidethfreak says:

You see, this is where capitol punishment would have come in handy.  Had we just killed him, he wouldn’t have had any guilt to cope with.

With the first link, the chain is forged.

Andrew Eisen says:

From the linked court document:

"SAVAGE indicated that he spent a considerable amount of time playing video games."

That line sticks out like a sore thumb to me.  I guess it’s there because Savage did indeed indicate as such and it leads up to how he attempted to assauge his guilt but it does seem out of place when reading the document.

Andrew Eisen

Ashura01 says:

You know, I was just thinking the same thing…. This is NOT the kind of publicity the industry needs. Nothing we can do but ride the waves of public indignaty that Keith and his ilk are bound to throw our way though….