Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

August 26, 2010 -

Target is getting serious about the used games market today, with the rollout of in-store trade-ins at select retail outlets in California. The trade-in program launches today in Northern California, with plans to expand it next month at more Target locations. By year's end Target hopes to offer trade-ins at over 850 stores nationwide. In addition to the in-store trade-ins, consumers will also be able to go to the Target website to trade-in used electronics and DVDs as well - for store credit. Apparently, you'll also be able to trade in select electronics too like iPhones and cellphones.

Target has been re-evaluating its videogame business in 2010, and adjusting accordingly to make the shopping experience more palatable for consumers. The used game trade-in initiative is probably part of these changes - and a way for Target to cut into the massive profits that specialty retailer GameStop makes off used games. Or you could just chalk this up to Target following the crowd: after all, if Best Buy is doing it, why shouldn't they?

Comments

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Buy new if you can, honestly if you have to buy used you might as well just pirate the game. The publisher does not see one red cent of the money that is paid for a used game and Target doesn't need to make money off of the developers work.

Basically buy new if you really want to support the industry, if you aren't going to buy new you might as well pirate.

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Absolutely not and shame on you for even suggesting such a thing.  Now, if you're just providing a publisher's perspective on used game sales (buy used or pirate, either way you're not the publisher's customer), fine.

Andrew Eisen

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm