How Target and Best Buy Will Tap Into the Used Games Market

August 30, 2010 -

Speaking to Gamasutra Best Buy and Target both claim that, while Gamestop may have the lion's share of the used games market now, things will inevitably change. Last week both Best Buy and Target announced the launch of used games initiatives, and while both companies have different approaches, the goal is the same: to tap into the lucrative market that Gamestop has managed to keep all to itself.

Right now both companies are not actually selling used games; Best Buy is using a third-party company to refurbish and repackage the games - with plans to start selling them "soon" while Target will take those used games and sell them or recycle them.

Best Buy merchant director of gaming David Benson told Gamasutra in an email that the company is not concerned about GameStop’s years of experience and stranglehold on the used games market:

"No, our commitment to creating an improved gaming experience begins with giving customers easy and exciting ways to connect with the games they love."

Benson added that Best Buy has been successful in online video game trade-in program for about a year, as well as a successful test of an in-store trade-in kiosk model:

"Based on these positive experiences, the time was right to expand the offering chain-wide," he said.

Last week, Best Buy announced that it would expand its in-store video game trade-in program to 600 stores nationwide, starting August 29, with more locations to follow. At the same time, Target said that it would accept used games for store credit.

Target spokesperson Janna Fischer told Gamasutra in an email that it wasn't getting into the business of selling used games:

"To be clear, Target isn't in the used game business" and has not announced a plan to sell used games. That being said, we will continue to keep close watch on the competitive landscape of the video game industry as a whole and will look for new ways to engage with and provide value to the gaming audience."

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: How Target and Best Buy Will Tap Into the Used Games ...

Too bad there isn't a Best Buy store in Florida that will take used games.

Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm