Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

September 1, 2010 -

While Sony may have the makers of the X3Jailbreak under an injunction in Australia (at least until this Friday), a homebrew alternative has already found its way on the Internet. The open source alternative called PSGroove has been released and - unlike an earlier version of the software - it doesn't contain certain features that could be used for piracy.

Of course, with certain features removed, users might not be as keen on using this solution as a replacement for X3Jailbreak. For starters, PSGroove doesn't allow re-routing of Blu-ray traffic to either the internal hard drive or an external device, which means that playing a backup copy of a game or movie is not possible.

So if doesn't allow you to play backup copies or games and movies, many may wonder what its usefulness is.

The main thing the software does is proves a point: that a security exploit can be triggered on the PS3 without using copyrighted Sony materials. In fact the PSGroove does just that. Sony's contention was that devices like the X3Jailbreak used its service mode hardware to accomplish its goals, when it actually just used the same device identifier. That could prove to be problematic for Sony as it argues in court later this week.

It also allows for the execution of "unsigned third-party apps and games" on the PS3 - which is really the purpose of the software.

Source: Eurogamer, image credit

Comments

Re: Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

Sony is going to try to bring this down regardless.

Re: Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

There's already a hacked version floating around which can play backups, just to keep people up to date.

Re: Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

Err if it allows homebrew it can be used for "piracy" if it can override copy protection on any level.

---

Re: Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

The whole point is that it doesn't override any copy protrction while still allowing the ability to run homebrew apps. These apps shouldn't be able to circulumvent copy protection either because copy protection mechanisms for most consoles function at a far more basic level (usually at a firmware level).

This is great news for the homebrew community because in the past, the same tools used to run homebrew applications were also the same ones used by pirates to bypass copy protection, and as a result the community was getting affected by measures that the consoly company put out to counterract piracy.

-The Bird

-The Bird

Re: Homegrown PS3 hack PSGroove released

So, it does not allow download piracy, but blue-ray disk piracy (that is expensive anyway), and homebrew?

Cool! (that is, for those that are into homebrew)

criadordejogos.wordpress.com