More on the FCC's Rejection of Free Wireless Broadband

September 2, 2010 -

The FCC's decision actually goes quite a bit further than simply terminating a free broadband plan. The decision comes from a proposed rulemaking plan that would have opened up the AWS-3 spectrum of radio waves for broadband internet access, at a cost of an estimated $2 billion.

This open spectrum would have primarily gone to a tech startup, M2Z Networks, and at one point was under consideration for "filtering" of "family friendly content": anything that would be "unsuitable for a five-year old" would have been filtered out

Ignoring the obvious First Amendment issues involved in such a plan, the concept simply doesn't jibe with the FCC's purported stance on Net Neutrality, among other things. In fact it seems to go directly against the requirements the FCC themselves had originally proposed:

• A requirement that the AWS-3 licensee provide free broadband service to at least 95% of the U.S. population in order to address the digital divide;

• A requirement that the AWS-3 licensee adhere to Net Neutrality principles of open access (end-user access to all lawful content) and open platforms (end-users to have the choice of devices);

• An enforceable requirement on the AWS-3 licensee to build-out a national broadband network covering 50% of the population in 4 years and 95% in 10 years.

Perhaps it was too ambitious of a goal; perhaps the internal politicking got to be too much; perhaps the plan was simply flawed from the beginning.  But the broader issue is something much more than the FCC simply saying "No" to free broadband.

Dan Rosenthal is lawyer and analyst for the video games industry

prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm