Politicians Loathe to Admit That They Game

September 3, 2010 -

A UK journalist attempting to write a story on videogames in 2006 sent out an “informal” email to a string of fellow journalists, civil servants and MPs requesting some feedback on what types of games they played, and failed to receive a single response.

National Videogame Archive co-founder Iain Simons was penning an article for The New Statesmen at the time, and, as detailed in GamesIndustry.biz, took the non-replies to indicate that “to be identified as a gamer (in 2006, at least) was incompatible with being a 'serious' civil servant or member of the Westminster set - be that journalist, MP or whatever."

After sending a second email offering anonymity, Simons stated that, “…this time lots of them got back in touch and came 'out' as gamers."

Simons added:

If the industry can get over its paranoia, and the 'establishment' can get over its often irrational reactionary standpoint toward games and gamers - we could start exploring the real value of the industry's contribution over and above what it brings to the GDP.

Comments

Re: Politicians Loathe to Admit That They Game

Back when I played MafiaWars, I had my state representative in my mafia, (he was even my Mastermind for a while.) Which made it really bizzare the day I checked my FB feed and it said "You have received a 'Crooked Politician' from..."

Re: Politicians Loathe to Admit That They Game

“…this time lots of them got back in touch and came 'out' as gamers."

Great, so what types of games do they play?  Any trends?  If it's mostly Japanese dating sims, perhaps that's why they've been less than forthcoming.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Politicians Loathe to Admit That They Game

Ahm... what 'paranoia' would that be?

MattsworknameEZK: I can't answer that, Im split on it cause I feel both are wrong ,but at the same time, I don't know if theres other ways to go about those seperate con.cerns. Was there a better way for feminists to make there point about GTA? was there a better way07/28/2015 - 8:20pm
MechaTama31Ok, a very different topic.07/28/2015 - 8:13pm
MechaTama31On a slightly different topic, in about a month my fiance will be a Mrs., but I'll still be a Mr., as I've always been. Hardly seems fair. I want a nifty new title!07/28/2015 - 8:13pm
E. Zachary KnightMatt, So, what is it? Is petitioning Intel to pull ads from Gamasutra "bullying and threatening" or is it justified? You can't have it both ways, especially if petition Target is "bullying and threatening".07/28/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenWhat this comes across as is "we need to find a way to silence anyone who says something we don't like."07/28/2015 - 8:08pm
Andrew EisenAnd how was Gamasutra not accountable for the opinion piece it published and refused to pull or edit even after advertising had been pulled?07/28/2015 - 8:08pm
Andrew EisenThere are tons of options when it comes to an opinion piece you don't agree with. Stating otherwise is dishonest or shows an extraordinary lack of imagination.07/28/2015 - 8:07pm
Mattsworknamethem acounatble. We just didn't have many opttions at the time07/28/2015 - 8:05pm
MattsworknameEZK:I never said it was justified, I just said that some people felt they didn't have any other means to hold them accountable. Weather it's justifited or not is somethign to debate, but I was never a big fan of it cause I wanted some other way to hold07/28/2015 - 8:04pm
Mattsworknameprice07/28/2015 - 8:03pm
MattsworknameAndrew: Your not wrong andrew, but gamasutra , and others like it , were called to task by the audiance that felt they had turned there backs on them. True or not, in media, you have to know how to reach an audiance, and chosing not to, well, you pay a07/28/2015 - 8:03pm
Andrew EisenAt the end of the day, even when Intel pulled its advertising (albeit, temporarily), Gamasutra showed its journalistic integrity by not removing or editing the opinion piece.07/28/2015 - 8:00pm
Andrew EisenNot liking Gamasutra is fine. The audience is primarily industry folk and it's not a game-focused site so it's probably not targeting you anyway.07/28/2015 - 7:57pm
E. Zachary KnightMAtt, So, an online petition asking Target to stop selling GTAV is "bullying and threatening" but a petition and boycott of Intel to force them to stop advertising on Gamasutra is justified?07/28/2015 - 7:56pm
Andrew EisenTrue or not, what it came across as a bunch of people lashing out at a publication over an opinion piece.07/28/2015 - 7:56pm
MattsworknameTo be honest, I've never liked them, but mostly cause rather then being a game focused site, they felt to political for my taste07/28/2015 - 7:56pm
Andrew EisenAnd in the case of Gamasutra?07/28/2015 - 7:54pm
Mattsworknameour concerns about them were well founded.07/28/2015 - 7:50pm
MattsworknameDepends on who you ask, accountable fto it's audiance, accountablie for lies and half truths, accountible for disengenous statements, everyone had there own reasons for going after them. Although in the case of gawker, recent events seem to indicate that07/28/2015 - 7:50pm
Andrew EisenAccountable for... what, exactly?07/28/2015 - 7:48pm