Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

September 7, 2010 -

The Bangor Daily News has an interesting report on net neutrality and where Maine's top politicians stand on the FCC's plan to reclassify broadband and mobile services under Title II of the Communications Act.

Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) told the paper that she is "very concerned" with what the FCC plans and that it bothers her that the Internet could have "multiple lanes" where large companies could get preferential treatment.

Here's more from the moderate Republican Senator:

"I am very concerned about the direction the FCC is taking," said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine. "It also seems to me that the chairman is exceeding his authority and that these issues are fundamental policy issues that should be decided by Congress."

"I am adamantly opposed to the FCC, or any other regulatory agency, that might be moving forward and implementing through the rule process, something that could be detrimental to Maine," he said.

Michaud also finds it "disturbing" that the FCC is holding closed-door discussions with big Internet companies.

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), a member of the Senate Commerce Committee that oversees the FCC, said that Congress may have to act to update the 1996 Telecommunications Act and "specifically spell out: what authority the FCC has."

"Because of the rapid development of new technologies, voice and video and data, it has become critical to try and manage those networks," she said, "but, at the same time, preserve the nondiscrimination principles and making sure there are reasonable practices in place that do not inhibit the ability of the average person to use the Internet as they are accustomed to do today."

First District Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, proclaimed herself "a strong supporter of Net neutrality" and said that "the FCC should not undercut the principle in its negotiations with Internet companies."

"I defiantly [sic] think that Congress should mandate this," she said, "I just think it is a fundamental principle. The Internet has become phenomenally important in how we do business, how we access information, how we educate ourselves."

Pingree hopes the House will have a bill to deal with the issues this fall, though the mid-term elections will probably interfere with most legislation this fall.

Source: Bangor Daily News

Posted in

Comments

Re: Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

"Second District Rep. Mike Michaud (D-Maine) also voiced concern that more rural areas of the country will be left behind as Internet providers cater to larger markets."

Isn't it already like this?

Re: Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

I think he means even moreso. I'm in a rural area myself. My phone company (A Co-Op) provides the broadband net access here, but in other parts of the country it'll be like getting cable outside the city limits- You are not getting it without a dish.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm