Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

September 8, 2010 -

In an attempt to make some point, the California-based Merced Sun-Star has been following, and publishing, the Mafia Wars exploits of a local councilman.

A July 30 column on the publication’s website began, offering a look into Atwater City Councilman Nelson Crabb’s Facebook gaming tendencies, after dubbing Crabb, an ex-policeman, the “Dapper Packer,” citing his penchant for carrying a gun and sending photos of “dead and dying men” to city officials.

Crabb was described as “a cold blooded killer” within Mafia Wars, where he had pulled off 1,159 murders (as of the July article), extorted a corrupt judge and become a master burglar, all in addition to opening his own chop shop. The paper wrote of these achievements, “That isn't exactly what you might expect from a law-and-order man.”

An update published on Saturday offers a further look into what Crabb has been up to lately in Mafia Wars, including deeds such as disposing of a body, shaking down a city council member and blackmailing a district attorney.

Atwater Mayor Joan Faul was even pulled into the story for a quote, saying, “We all have our own standards from which we work from.”

Assistant City Manager Stan Feathers added, “People play games all the time -- games are not reality. Would you criticize someone for playing Xbox?"

Crabb has reportedly resisted efforts to-date to take up playing the more benign Farmville.

Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings.

Comments

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Sounds like Crabb's political opposition needs new material, if this is the best dirt on the man they got.

Back when I gave a damn about MW, I had my state congressman in my Top Mafia as my Mastermind. It was his personal FB page, not his candidate page. (Still was odd to receive a "Crooked Politician" from him though)

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

"Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings."

Sounds like Merced Sun-Star should report some real news.  I thought they were going to knock him for playing during office hours.

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Everybody knows that the only way to catch the modern, intelligent criminal is to beat him at his own game.  Far from being outraged, I'd be downright proud if my councilman was running up numbers like that in Mafia Wars.  It shows he's engaged with one of the primary issues a city has to face, plus he's organized enough to maintain several key operations simultaneously.

Also, I like how the following story refers to a congressman's choice of words as a metaphorical "battleaxe".  Do they print any credible, unexaggerated news in this paper?

---
Fangamer

---
Fangamer

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am