Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

September 8, 2010 -

In an attempt to make some point, the California-based Merced Sun-Star has been following, and publishing, the Mafia Wars exploits of a local councilman.

A July 30 column on the publication’s website began, offering a look into Atwater City Councilman Nelson Crabb’s Facebook gaming tendencies, after dubbing Crabb, an ex-policeman, the “Dapper Packer,” citing his penchant for carrying a gun and sending photos of “dead and dying men” to city officials.

Crabb was described as “a cold blooded killer” within Mafia Wars, where he had pulled off 1,159 murders (as of the July article), extorted a corrupt judge and become a master burglar, all in addition to opening his own chop shop. The paper wrote of these achievements, “That isn't exactly what you might expect from a law-and-order man.”

An update published on Saturday offers a further look into what Crabb has been up to lately in Mafia Wars, including deeds such as disposing of a body, shaking down a city council member and blackmailing a district attorney.

Atwater Mayor Joan Faul was even pulled into the story for a quote, saying, “We all have our own standards from which we work from.”

Assistant City Manager Stan Feathers added, “People play games all the time -- games are not reality. Would you criticize someone for playing Xbox?"

Crabb has reportedly resisted efforts to-date to take up playing the more benign Farmville.

Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings.

Comments

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Sounds like Crabb's political opposition needs new material, if this is the best dirt on the man they got.

Back when I gave a damn about MW, I had my state congressman in my Top Mafia as my Mastermind. It was his personal FB page, not his candidate page. (Still was odd to receive a "Crooked Politician" from him though)

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

"Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings."

Sounds like Merced Sun-Star should report some real news.  I thought they were going to knock him for playing during office hours.

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Everybody knows that the only way to catch the modern, intelligent criminal is to beat him at his own game.  Far from being outraged, I'd be downright proud if my councilman was running up numbers like that in Mafia Wars.  It shows he's engaged with one of the primary issues a city has to face, plus he's organized enough to maintain several key operations simultaneously.

Also, I like how the following story refers to a congressman's choice of words as a metaphorical "battleaxe".  Do they print any credible, unexaggerated news in this paper?

---