Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

September 8, 2010 -

In an attempt to make some point, the California-based Merced Sun-Star has been following, and publishing, the Mafia Wars exploits of a local councilman.

A July 30 column on the publication’s website began, offering a look into Atwater City Councilman Nelson Crabb’s Facebook gaming tendencies, after dubbing Crabb, an ex-policeman, the “Dapper Packer,” citing his penchant for carrying a gun and sending photos of “dead and dying men” to city officials.

Crabb was described as “a cold blooded killer” within Mafia Wars, where he had pulled off 1,159 murders (as of the July article), extorted a corrupt judge and become a master burglar, all in addition to opening his own chop shop. The paper wrote of these achievements, “That isn't exactly what you might expect from a law-and-order man.”

An update published on Saturday offers a further look into what Crabb has been up to lately in Mafia Wars, including deeds such as disposing of a body, shaking down a city council member and blackmailing a district attorney.

Atwater Mayor Joan Faul was even pulled into the story for a quote, saying, “We all have our own standards from which we work from.”

Assistant City Manager Stan Feathers added, “People play games all the time -- games are not reality. Would you criticize someone for playing Xbox?"

Crabb has reportedly resisted efforts to-date to take up playing the more benign Farmville.

Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings.

Comments

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Sounds like Crabb's political opposition needs new material, if this is the best dirt on the man they got.

Back when I gave a damn about MW, I had my state congressman in my Top Mafia as my Mastermind. It was his personal FB page, not his candidate page. (Still was odd to receive a "Crooked Politician" from him though)

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

"Sounds like Crabb should at least update his Facebook privacy settings."

Sounds like Merced Sun-Star should report some real news.  I thought they were going to knock him for playing during office hours.

Re: Paper Details Mafia Wars Deeds of Councilman

Everybody knows that the only way to catch the modern, intelligent criminal is to beat him at his own game.  Far from being outraged, I'd be downright proud if my councilman was running up numbers like that in Mafia Wars.  It shows he's engaged with one of the primary issues a city has to face, plus he's organized enough to maintain several key operations simultaneously.

Also, I like how the following story refers to a congressman's choice of words as a metaphorical "battleaxe".  Do they print any credible, unexaggerated news in this paper?

---
Fangamer

---
Fangamer

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm