Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

September 17, 2010 -

A few months ago the consummate smart assess at the Onion News Network deployed a news report on a hot new game (fake, of course) called Close Range. The report detailed the main point of the game: to shoot people and animals at close range in the face. The video, which you can watch here is hilarious.

But that wasn't good enough for ONN. They decided it would be a good idea to create an actual game for the iPhone. When they went to get approval from Apple, their app was rejected. Big shock there. Apparently, the idea of shooting people and animals at point blank range was too violent of a concept for Apple.

What got them, as Game, Set, Watch points out, is this line from the Apple App Guidelines:

"apps portraying realistic images of people or animals being killed or maimed, shot, stabbed, tortured or injured will be rejected."

Daily Finance has more on how this particular deal breaker might not apple to "professional political satirists and humorists."

Posted in

Comments

Re: Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

Why not just put a mature lable so it will get the easily bypassed age gates and move on?

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

Oh I don't know, there's a strange kind of sub-satire in a satirical game being invented to pamper to the panic-brigades ideas of what a computer game is, and then having it rejected as being too violent. I think the Onion have kind of proved their point whether the appeal succeeds or fails.

Re: Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

" . . . this particular deal breaker might not apple to "professional political satirists and humorists.""

Error or really bad pun?

Re: Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

Re: Face Shooting App from The Onion Gets Rejected

Well, let's hope The Onion wins on appeal.  Apple's been pretty good about backpedaling on political satire after being mocked in the press.

PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm