Atari Wants Infringers to Pass GO

September 23, 2010 -

If you can't beat, join them... or convince them to join you. That's kind of what Atari is doing with those developer and publishers it thinks are infringing on its copyrights to create socialized game experiences (Facebook, iPhone, etc.). Atari calls it the "GO initiative." The company will reach out to portals and developers that it believes have created clones of its classic IPs and offer an invitation to replace the clones with the real deal.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz in an interview published today, Atari project head Thom Kozik said that getting developers on board to improve Atari IP instead of copying it is of paramount importance.

"This initiative is not about going out after the market with a big stick, that's a different situation," Kozik said. "First and foremost we're going to be saying, 'let's bring the friends and folks who love us, and the folks who love these brands, into the fold, and we'll worry about the folks who don't want to play along, no pun intended, we'll worry about them later in a different context'" .

"It's a horrible position for me to be in. I've got a ton of very talented developers who are very interested in my intellectual property. Now what I've got is the GO initiative so I can turn around to them and say: I've got this incredibly deep catalogue of IP which you can get involved with, and I'll help you develop the next iteration of a classic game.

"I'll help you to create a socialised, monetised version of a classic piece of IP from any of the studios which were part of Atari during its long lifespan. That's what we're finding is a tremendous opportunity, a lot of developers are getting very excited about that."

Atari knows that it can't compete with the 70/30 profit split which developers can get from Apple or or online game portals, but it can offer a 30 to 50 percent cut to developers and support services like customer support, QA services, and access to its publishing prowess so that game developers can concentrate on the games.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Atari Wants Infringers to Pass GO

Protecting IP while simultaneously ecouraging innovation?

And BOTH parties benefit?!?!

Image:BRILLIANT!.jpg

I'm quite interested in seeing how this plays out, because it sounds like it could be a springboard for similar programs from other game companies.

Re: Atari Wants Infringers to Pass GO

Well, it's certainly better than sending out a string of cease and desists.  But I've got to say it also sounds kind of like a cash-grab on Atari's part.

Still, not a bad idea.  It may well give developers a chance to both not infringe on Atari's IP while still being able to remake all those classic games so I can continue to waste my time playing flash versions of old arcade classics.

===============

Chris Kimberley

===============

Chris Kimberley

james_fudgeshouldn't that be marked as an editorial? There's a lot of opinion in it.11/24/2014 - 12:49pm
WonderkarpI try to direct gamergate away from the same old antagonists. The least talk about Quinn or Wu or Sarkeesian, the more they can talk about the real issues. Its why I've rarely ever mentioned them on my twitter, unless there's like a giant news development11/24/2014 - 12:46pm
Andrew EisenHoly Metamucil, that Blogjob article is STILL propagating the same Grayson/Quinn horse poop!11/24/2014 - 12:30pm
Andrew EisenWell, to be clear, no one manually added your name.11/24/2014 - 12:26pm
Andrew EisenOh, and I know Harper's Twitter handle but that isn't the name on the list you linked to nor was she ever mentioned by name. Hence my subsequent confusion. The name on the list was something like randi_ebooks. But yeah, that's still Harper. Same list.11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
WonderkarpABC reporter admits they chose Harassment angle over coruption when reporting #GamerGate http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-abc-reporter-admits-they-chose-harassment-coverage-over-corruption/11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
Wonderkarpnah. I was miffed, but I got my apology. Now I think its hilarious that htey put me in that. I told my friend and cohost of my lets plays once I move, and she said she's gonna try to make the list XD. I told her "Just follow these people"11/24/2014 - 12:24pm
Andrew EisenHeh, looks like we confirmed it at the same time!11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
Andrew EisenYep, it was a pseudonym. By the by, there's an appeals process to be whitelisted if that's still a concern of yours.11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
WonderkarpI wasnt 100% certain so I confirmed it.11/24/2014 - 12:13pm
Wonderkarpyeah. Randi Harper is @FreeBSDGirl, Its her list.11/24/2014 - 12:09pm
Andrew EisenAre you sure? Because, again, I'm pretty sure it had a different name and author. Was it a pseudonym or something?11/24/2014 - 11:57am
Wonderkarpno, Randi Harper designed the list that IGDA used.11/24/2014 - 11:53am
Andrew EisenI was going to ask yesterday but isn't that a different list than the one IGDA has up a few days ago? Shout box doesn't go back that far but I'm pretty sure the list had a different name and author.11/24/2014 - 11:51am
WonderkarpBlocklist Author Randi Harper accused of Doxxing Someone on the List http://theralphretort.com/time-caught-blocklist-dunce-randi-harper-doxing-someone/11/24/2014 - 10:56am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm