DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

September 28, 2010 -

Microsoft has been a strong proponent of digital rights management - especially in its windows operating system - but a recent report on PC World reveals an exploit that uses the very protections the company put in place against users. The exploit involves the msnetobj.dll library, an ActiveX Network Object. The msnetobj.dll library "is intended to prevent the owner of a computer from saving or viewing certain files except under limited circumstances, and to prevent the computer's owner from disabling" the library, according to BoingBoing.

Hackers have figured out that the library is useful for attacking computers. Apparently, the file is susceptible to three different attacks - denial of service, buffer overflow, and integer overflow. These attacks can be triggered when the user is lured to a malicious website set up to exploit the file's weakness. Once in, the site can then allow a hacker to run malicious software on the target machine.

Source PC World, Boing Boing

Posted in

Comments

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

When are they gonna phase out ActiveX? It's been nothing but a hole you could drive a tank through.

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

I doubt its as much as DRM gone bad but rather complete ineptitude on MSs part to build a easy to use functional rights system that is backed up by a online community. MS shat on it since they are to busy screwing up the 360.....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

Pretty much the word "ActiveX" is all the explanation anyone should need.

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

My first thought was "An ActiveX exploit? NO! That certainly would never happen!"

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

Wow, Microsoft better fix this up before shit hits the fan.

Re: DRM Gone Bad: Microsoft Windows

I doubt they'll go out of cycle for this one; expect a patch on Tuesday the 12th.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm