Wal-Mart Backs Rise of the Antichrist Across U.S.

Looks like an experimental pilot program that had around 100 Texas Wal-Mart stores carry the Christian-themed titles of Left Behind Games went well, as the publisher announced that two of its newer offerings will be sold at locations of the world’s largest retailer throughout the U.S.

Left Behind 3: Rise of the Antichrist and Charlie Church Mouse: Superpack will show up in Wal-Mart stores before the end of October.

LBG CEO Troy Lyndon stated, "We are delighted to offer healthy alternatives into the PC game marketplace and pleased to see these games get the exposure they deserve by becoming available in Walmart nationally.

Left Behind 3: Rise of the Antichrist is a real-time strategy game based on the book series of the same name.

13 comments

1. Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

"We are delighted to offer healthy alternatives into the PC game marketplace and pleased to see these games get the exposure they deserve by becoming available in Walmart nationally".

These people are in denial believing that anything that comes out from the bible is somehow harmless, and like they are the only harmless option in the market.

What I´m very interesed is if this game is gonna be reviewed by somebody and know what it is about. I don´t think I can get this game except for downloading it from a torrent.

I think the only question is "is this game good?" If not, it doesn´t matter at all.

———————————————————— My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

2. Chris Kimberley says:

Please explain to me how,

"And while the groups and organizations at the foundation of the beliefs behind both games actually do teach similar treatment of others based on lies, deceit, misinformation, bigotry, and ignorance as being honorable, ethical, and even "moral""

constitutes criticism of the game and/or its content.  That statement comes across as you saying all Christians are bad because a few outspoken groups you’ve heard of in the news are clearly pretty damn messed up.  That’s no different from saying anyone who’s Muslim is a terrorist.

Please correct me if I’m wrong in my interpretation because right now you sound to me like you yourself are a total bigot and I have/had a higher opinion of you than that.

Re-read your comment and think about it.  There are no real arguments made aside from what amounts to "they’re bad", no reasoning listed, no backing from any sources.  You did make a point of saying that due to our rights to freedom of expression they can make the game regardless of what anyone thinks.  But your post amounts to a pot-shot at the people (seemingly the whole religion) behind the game and not really anything else.

===============

Chris Kimberley

3. nightwng2000 says:

It’s description, along with the descriptions of the books, as well as the many descriptions of the actual religious source material are in great numbers to the point of being familiar enough with the subject matter to make sufficient comment on the material.

The same is true of the content of the material for a game like Ethnic Cleansing as well as the source material that the game is based on, making criticism of the content quite feasible.

In both these cases, the games have real source material that the fictional material is based upon, adding to the information available.

As opposed to other fictional material such as Mass Effect, which was criticized for its content without ever playing or even researching the ACTUAL content.  Since Mass Effect, among others, ONLY has the content of the fictional material to go by, then there is no additional material to research and judge its content by.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

4. Chris Kimberley says:

Well, it’s neither more nor less healthy than any other game (excepting perhaps exergames).  Interesting that there’s a slew of negative comments here when (I’m assuming) none of the commenters have played the game.  I also expect none of you have read the books (I’m referring to the Left Behind series not the Bible).  As such there’s not really any basis for saying anything about the content of the game or the views it represents.

A lot of the comments here are more along the lines of what we tend to hear about violent games.  I’d like to be able to expect better from most of the commenters on GP.

If you don’t want to play it, don’t buy it.  But don’t trash it simply because it was produced by a Christian group.

===============

Chris Kimberley

5. omikron48 says:

Meh. Had me going there. Read the title wrong.

I thought we were already at the end times and Walmart was sponsoring the Antichrist in the US. Didn’t know "Rise of the Antichrist" was a game title.

6. Cheater87 says:

Isn’t Left Behind the game where you try to convert someone to Christianity, and if they refuse you kill them?

7. nightwng2000 says:

About as "healthy" as the game Ethnic Cleansing, but, hey, whatever.  Neither are my genre or plot interest.  They are both based on fictional source material.  And while the groups and organizations at the foundation of the beliefs behind both games actually do teach similar treatment of others based on lies, deceit, misinformation, bigotry, and ignorance as being honorable, ethical, and even "moral", the specific products are still, ultimately, fictional and should be protected by the Human Right of Freedom of Speech/Expression, not only recognized by the US Constitution’s First Amendment but by Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as well.  One doesn’t have to like or agree with the foundation source material or the fictional specific products.  You are, as they are, Free to Choose to play or not play such games.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

8. Roh02 says:

(the following is sarcasm) this game offends me how could they allow this religious filth to be rated as T for Teen it clearly should be an 18 only I demand a bigger label aswell how can you force this down the throats of our youth its going to corrupt them. etc etc

hey they ranted about violent games dont we get a turn?

9. Zerodash says:

I would never consider the brand of Christianity the Left Behind franchise represents as "healthy".  It’s little more than a well-dressed hate group.

I’d rather have my kids view Master Chief as a role model than be exposed to hate-filled antiscience any day.

10. PHX Corp says:

I agree with you, Some Religous Right groups are getting mentally unhinged recently, even though I feel safe it may not last long

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

11. SbEguy says:

I like how they describe a game portraying the biblical apocalypse (or at least someone’s interpretation of it) as "healthy".

Comments are closed.