Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

October 4, 2010 -

Putting aside garbage-scented political flyers, at least for the time being, New York Republican Gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino has invoked a world-famous videogame character for his latest attack on Democratic opponent Andrew Cuomo.

The latest flyer features Cuomo’s face on a caricature of Mario under the headline “Andrew Has Been Playing the Albany Game for 30 Years.”

Another recent flyer pictured Cuomo in the shower, with the text “Clean up Albany? Start with Cuomo.”

Just last month Paladino spokesman Mike Caputo promised, “We’re going to continue beating on Andrew Cuomo until he comes out and answers questions and agrees to a series of debates.”

For more on Paladino be sure to check out this Gawker tag, which assembles all of the site’s gleeful coverage of the candidate’s missteps to-date.

Our personal favorite from Paladino's flyer collection is a selection from early on in the campaign and features Steve Levy, Paladino's opponent for the Republican nomination,  and Ed Cox, Chairman of the New York State Republican Committee.

Comments

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

You need to learn what polititcal satire is. When other people use copyright material they tend to alter more than one item and this is a cheap photoshop job. And I've seen Nintendo jumping on people for things a lot tamer than this.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

The fair use of copyrighted material for the purposes of commentary or criticism is not an infringement of the copyright. That's as well-settled in law as well-settled can possibly be.

I'd be much more inclinded to have you school me on what political satire is if you could manage to spell the term correctly.

And Nintendo can jump on Paladino all they want. I've a sneaking suspicion that he's not easily intimidated. I wouldn't be either, if I had a net worth of $150 million.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

The campaign manager of Paladino must have some serious stones between his legs. I really doubt Nintendo will take this in stride. A cease and desist letter must be on it's way to the Campaign office.

Wait isn't Paladino the guy who got involved in a shouting match with editor-in-chief of the New York Post over some stuff he made up about his opponent?

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

That cease-and-desist letter won't be worth the paper on which it's typed. Two words: "political" and "satire."

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

Oh my God, He is risking the wrath of Nintendo. They scare me.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

Is it relevant to the story for GP to all but back one guy over the other?

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

I read it less as GP backing a canidate and more pointing to their favoraite horrible political flyer.

Matthew Wilson@zippy there is no way they are going to merge with capcom becouse both companies are not in good shape. sony, Nintendo, and square are the only companies with enough money to pull it off in japan.04/27/2015 - 4:27pm
ZippyDSMleeCutesy name for motherboard. My 300$ mobo fried itself one night...04/27/2015 - 4:23pm
Andrew EisenNo problem. No idea what a mobo is but it's easy to overlook stuff in the Shout box.04/27/2015 - 4:18pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen:Ah sorry, last 2-4 days I been dealing with a dead mobo then my new laptop came in trying to get it up to date and stuff transferred over....blag04/27/2015 - 4:16pm
Andrew EisenAlready linked about 10 shouts ago.04/27/2015 - 4:00pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8503893/konami-delists-itself-from-new-york-stock-exchange This just in Konami and Capcom merge so they can ignore more IP's.04/27/2015 - 3:50pm
E. Zachary KnightNot really. I think people are overly critical of other game projects. Delays should be expected and shouldn't be considered a major failing and worthy of the crap they get.04/27/2015 - 3:09pm
Matthew WilsonI agree that Double Fine gets off way too easy compared to others.04/27/2015 - 2:40pm
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/592762131264733185/photo/1 a Transcript reguarding the Situation at Konami has been found(CEO Went Nuts over mobile and wanted kojima removed from the company)04/27/2015 - 2:25pm
E. Zachary KnightMatthew, delaying games has been amassive point of contention for games that raised a fraction of what Double Fine did.04/27/2015 - 2:14pm
Matthew Wilsonand yes they went way way over budget from what I read.04/27/2015 - 12:33pm
Matthew Wilson@AE if they cancaled it there would be massive outrage, but people tend to be ok with a delayed game.04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
IvresseBleh, can't edit shout on my phone :-/04/27/2015 - 12:32pm
Andrew EisenHell, the Kickstarter itself raised WAY more than DF was asking but I saw no accusations of impropriety.04/27/2015 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenA little over three years later (two and a half years after the estimated delivery date), the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter finally delivered the game. Oddly, I never saw anyone accuse Double Fine of scamming or conning anyone.04/27/2015 - 12:30pm
Ivresse@PHX Corp: Not only that, but Konami have just delisted themselves from the NYSE:http://polygon.com/e/826793404/27/2015 - 12:28pm
Matthew Wilsonwhile I felt bad for everyone outside the US who wanted to watch the HOTS finals, the fact it was on espn 2 in prime time is a major major step forward for video games.04/27/2015 - 12:14pm
james_fudgeThanks Papa!04/27/2015 - 10:43am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/its-official-silent-hills-is-cancelled-1700379816# It's Official: Silent Hills Is Cancelled04/27/2015 - 9:48am
Papa MidnightI also hope that legislation holds the individual(s) who initiated the action is criminally liable for any and all harm that may come to persons involved (whether it be the cops or the victim(s)), as well as any property damaged suffered by any party.04/27/2015 - 8:16am