Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

October 4, 2010 -

Putting aside garbage-scented political flyers, at least for the time being, New York Republican Gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino has invoked a world-famous videogame character for his latest attack on Democratic opponent Andrew Cuomo.

The latest flyer features Cuomo’s face on a caricature of Mario under the headline “Andrew Has Been Playing the Albany Game for 30 Years.”

Another recent flyer pictured Cuomo in the shower, with the text “Clean up Albany? Start with Cuomo.”

Just last month Paladino spokesman Mike Caputo promised, “We’re going to continue beating on Andrew Cuomo until he comes out and answers questions and agrees to a series of debates.”

For more on Paladino be sure to check out this Gawker tag, which assembles all of the site’s gleeful coverage of the candidate’s missteps to-date.

Our personal favorite from Paladino's flyer collection is a selection from early on in the campaign and features Steve Levy, Paladino's opponent for the Republican nomination,  and Ed Cox, Chairman of the New York State Republican Committee.

Comments

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

You need to learn what polititcal satire is. When other people use copyright material they tend to alter more than one item and this is a cheap photoshop job. And I've seen Nintendo jumping on people for things a lot tamer than this.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

The fair use of copyrighted material for the purposes of commentary or criticism is not an infringement of the copyright. That's as well-settled in law as well-settled can possibly be.

I'd be much more inclinded to have you school me on what political satire is if you could manage to spell the term correctly.

And Nintendo can jump on Paladino all they want. I've a sneaking suspicion that he's not easily intimidated. I wouldn't be either, if I had a net worth of $150 million.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

The campaign manager of Paladino must have some serious stones between his legs. I really doubt Nintendo will take this in stride. A cease and desist letter must be on it's way to the Campaign office.

Wait isn't Paladino the guy who got involved in a shouting match with editor-in-chief of the New York Post over some stuff he made up about his opponent?

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

That cease-and-desist letter won't be worth the paper on which it's typed. Two words: "political" and "satire."

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

Oh my God, He is risking the wrath of Nintendo. They scare me.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

Is it relevant to the story for GP to all but back one guy over the other?

Re: Mario Referenced in NY Governor Race

I read it less as GP backing a canidate and more pointing to their favoraite horrible political flyer.

james_fudgeThat's the clean install, for anyone asking07/29/2015 - 9:23am
TechnogeekAlso, it's the upgrade that's available for installation now. You might need to forcibly initiate the Windows Update process before it'll start downloading, though. (If there's a C:\$Windows.~BT folder on your computer, then you're in luck.)07/29/2015 - 8:46am
TechnogeekAdmittedly there's more room to push for an advertiser boycott when you get into opinion content versus pure news, but keep in mind that reviews are opinion content as well.07/29/2015 - 8:46am
TechnogeekMatts: There's a difference between "this person regularly says extremely terrible stuff" and "I don't like the phrasing used in this one specific editorial".07/29/2015 - 8:45am
MattsworknameWait, is that for the upgrade or the clean install only? cause I was gonna do the upgrade07/29/2015 - 8:32am
james_fudgehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows1007/29/2015 - 8:30am
PHX Corp@Wilson, I'm still waiting for My upgrade notice aswell07/29/2015 - 7:57am
MattsworknameWilson: how? Im still waiting for my upgrade notice07/29/2015 - 3:44am
Matthew WilsonI updated to a clean instill of windows 10.07/29/2015 - 2:36am
Mattsworknameargue that it's wrong, but then please admit it's wrong on ALL Fronts07/29/2015 - 2:06am
MattsworknameTechnoGeek: It's actually NOT, but it is a method used all across the specturm. See Rush limbaugh, MSNBC, Shawn hannity, etc etc, how many compagns have been brought up to try and shut them down by going after there advertisers. It's fine if you wanna07/29/2015 - 2:05am
Mattsworknamediscussed, while not what I liked and not the methods I wanted to see used, were , in a sense, the effort of thsoe game consuming masses to hold what they felt was supposed to be there press accountable for what many of them felt was Betrayal07/29/2015 - 2:03am
MattsworknameAs we say, the gamers are dead article set of a firestorm among the game consuming populace, who, ideally, were the intended audiance for sites like Kotaku, Polygon, Et all. As such, the turn about on them and the attacking of them, via the metods07/29/2015 - 2:03am
MattsworknameAndrew: Thats kind fo the issue at hand, Accountable is a matter of context. For a media group, it means accountable to its reader. to a goverment, to it's voters and tax payer, to a company, to it's share holders.07/29/2015 - 2:02am
Andrew EisenAnd again, you keep saying "accountable." What exactly does that mean? How is Gamasutra not accounting for the editorial it published?07/28/2015 - 11:47pm
Andrew EisenMatt - I disagree with your 9:12 and 9:16 comment. There are myriad ways to address content you don't like. And they're far easier to execute in the online space.07/28/2015 - 11:47pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Banning in the legal sense? Not that I'm aware but there have certainly been groups of gamers who have worked towards getting content they don't like removed.07/28/2015 - 11:45pm
DanJAlexander's editorial was and continues to be grossly misrepresented by her opponents. And if you don't like a site, you stop reading it - same as not watching a tv show. They get your first click, but not your second.07/28/2015 - 11:40pm
TechnogeekYes, because actively trying to convince advertisers to influence the editorial content of media is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, especially for a movement that's ostensibly about journalistic ethics.07/28/2015 - 11:02pm
Mattsworknameanother07/28/2015 - 9:16pm