Researchers on Videogame Injuries

October 4, 2010 -

Using data provided by the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, researchers recently presented an overview of videogame-related injuries at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) National Conference and Exhibition in San Francisco.

Between January 1, 2004 and January 1, 2009, there were a total of 696 game-related injuries in the U.S., of which 604 were suffered from “traditional games,” while 92 were attributed to “newer interactive games” that require a greater investment of interactivity, like Nintendo’s Wii. Of the 92 injuries caused by “newer” technology, 49 injured parties were male and 43 female.

The mean age of the injured was 16.5 years old. Those injured were more likely to hurt their shoulder, ankle or foot. Bystander injuries were also “significantly” more likely to occur when playing games using the “newer” interactive technology.

Patrick O'Toole, MD, lead author of the study, added, “Younger children under the age of 10 should be supervised while video games are being played to prevent bystander injuries, which are more common with interactive games."

Via AAP PR, Thanks Adam!

Comments

Re: Researchers on Videogame Injuries

How in the name of sweet Jesus do you injure yourself playing "traditional" video games. I have to know I am racking my brains but I can not think of one way.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

I may be crazy, but I am not insane.

Re: Researchers on Videogame Injuries

The very first thought on my mind is "what is considered a game related injury?"... cause really i have a hard time seeing how someone could hurt themselves while sitting in front of a TV. I might be able to imagine some minor things happening with the wii like accidently smacking someone while flailing your arms around, but not so much with traditional games. I just hope this isn't some BS that includes people who were injured during some crime that was loosely connected to video games...

Re: Researchers on Videogame Injuries

I think the "Traditional games" means they are counting injuries from football,basketball, tag etc...

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: Researchers on Videogame Injuries

What's strange to me is that I've been playing games for longer than I can remember, and pretty much everyone around my age that I've ever known has played them as well, some being even more hardcore about it than me, but I have never once even heard of any of those people being injured as a result, nor have I ever injured myself playing games.

Honestly, I really suspect that a good majority of the injuries being counted there were a direct result of gamers suffering from the well-known condition of "Pissed-off-at-this-game-because-I-can't-beat-it". Kind of like a lot of those Nintendo Wii controllers that "slipped" from kids hands and destroyed the giant plasma TV their parents spent a good portion of their paychecks on.

Am I right?

Re: Researchers on Videogame Injuries

Well it's a good thing they're addressing that, because if you give a kid a wiimote or PS move and leave the living room, chances are they end up accidently throwing the Motion Controller into you new 3D HDTV, Damage walls not to mention Destroy the living room and home office easily(sarcasm)

Watching JT on GP is just like watching an episode of Jerry springer only as funny as the fights

America has just became its own version of the Jerry Springer Show after a bizarre moment in Florida involving a carnival worker.

Thomas RiordanNo, certainly not. Anything to prevent that kinda crap.09/01/2014 - 8:18am
SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm
prh99Trolling her or trying to assail her integrity just draws more attention (Streisand effect?). Which is really not what the trolls want, so the only way to win (if there is a win to be had) is not to play/troll.08/29/2014 - 5:02pm
prh99Who cares, just don't watch the damn videos if you don't like her. Personally, I don't care as far as she is concerned as long there are interesting games to be played.08/29/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenZip - And yet, you can't cite a single, solitary example. (And no one said you hated anyone. Along those lines, no one claimed Sarkeesian was perfect either.)08/29/2014 - 3:51pm
Andrew EisenSaint's Row: Gat Out of Hell was just announced for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One making it the 150th game For Everything But Wii U! Congratulations Deep Silver!08/29/2014 - 3:49pm