Play Halo: Reach and Fight Breast Cancer

The fifth annual Fight Like a Girl (FLAG) tournament will employ Halo: Reach in order to raise funds for breast cancer research.

The event takes place online on October 23rd and 24th and offers 8-player Free For All (FFA), two versus two , Firefight (with 4-player teams) and Play with Bungie, where 2-player teams can compete with or against Halo’s creators, events. Registration for single player events is $10 a person, while team events are $20. All proceeds go to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Cervical Cancer Coalition.

FLAG organizers Kari Toyama (The Don Wan) and Tasha Pettengill (Zoom Demon) have been putting on the tournament since 2006. The event has raised over $15,000 for breast cancer research to-date.

The organizer’s offered this comment on why they keep conducting the tournament:

Not only do we do this tournament to raise money and awareness for finding a cure to cancer, but also to show the public that gamers are kind and generous people.

October is breast cancer awareness month.

Mr. Stodern says:

Well, I hope that’s the case. It’s a lot better than having my post deleted, because I feel I had a very valid point.

I appear to have lost a few others too. Think maybe we should write to whoever runs this place these days.

Neeneko says:

I lost a bunch of comments yeasterday…. and have not been able to post int he shoutbox for weeks.  I suspect the GP website is not playing nicely with all browsers or there is something else glitchy going on.

MechaTama31 says:

The thing you need to understand is, it is a wildly successful marketing tool.  Slap a pink ribbon on something, and it will sell more.  So don’t expect it to go away any time soon.

Neeneko says:

The month is part of my point.. we have a month for breast cancer, ribbions, media attention, special pink version of products at the grocery store….  it is not just ‘more then other cancers’, it completely swamps cancer awareness with types of champagns that simply do not exist for other types, much less have the massive backing.   Crow, I can not even think of any other cause of death in general (much less a medical condition) that has this type of plublicity.

And true, a general purpose cure might come out of research into breast cancer, but the same could be said for any of the types or even general cancer research.  Though granted it could be argued that funding coming from such attention would simply not exist (as opposed to being spent elsewhere) and thus the attention is good.. but it still feels like it has gotten so overwhelming that I think we passed that point.

Stealthmaster says:

@ Neeneko October is Breast Cancer awareness month, but it does seem like they are focusing on that than other cancers. You may never know, any breakthrough on a cure for breast cancer will help on other cures. If I still had Reach (rented it) and had the money I would do this.

Neeneko says:

Ahm.. I think it is time for the breast cancer focus needs to start winding down.

Ok, raising funds to fight cancer… good thing.. but breast cancer has one of the highest survival rates.. it would be nice if some of the OTHER types started getting some attention.

Esp since breast cancer is one of the types where aggressive removal of the region results in minimal decrease in quality of life.  Seriously, you do not even get that option with most forms…. but since breasts have such a high symbolic value, it is held up as horribly tragic.

It is nice to see that part of the proceeds are going to cervical cancer research, even if all the attention is still on the breast part.