Gamers, Watch Out for “Toasted Skin Syndrome”

October 7, 2010 -

Yet another new ailment threatens gamers, this one specifically targeting those who might use laptops to play games for hours a day.

“Toasted skin syndrome” is the layman’s term for erythema ab igne, described as a “reticular, pigmented, sometimes telangiectatic dermatosis” and it originates from prolonged exposure to a heat or an infrared source.

In a study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and reported on by AP, Swiss researchers discussed the condition appearing in a 12-year old boy who played computer games for a “few hours every day for several months.”

The “laptop-induced dermatosis” was described as “generally harmless but can cause permanent skin darkening,” although researchers cautioned that “in very rare cases, it can cause damage leading to skin cancers.”

The AP story also warned that men who position a portable computer on their lap for long periods of time could also risk “elevated scrotum temperatures,” which if prolonged, could decrease sperm production.

Researchers suggested placing some kind of heat shield under a laptop for any long bouts with a laptop.

Image from AP

Comments

Re: Gamers, Watch Out for “Toasted Skin Syndrome”

Pfft. I'm using a laptop right now, and I plan on using it to play Morrowind for at least two to three hours today, and I'm in no danger of "toasting" my skin.

It's called a fucking desk.

Good, then idiots like that are less likely to breed.

Re: Gamers, Watch Out for “Toasted Skin Syndrome”

I get a bad fammer tan... but then I haz to be outside which is rare and under the baking evil sun.

---

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm