New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

October 9, 2010 -

Salman Rushdie's latest book, Luka and the Fire of Life, was inspired by the world of video games, according to the author. Rushdie is best known for the book, The Satanic Verses, which brought the author big trouble. He was forced into hiding in England for over a decade after Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini issued a religious edict ordering Muslims to kill the him.

Rushdie's new book is a lot less controversial; he told the Associated Press that he wrote the book for his 13-year-old son. The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure. Rushdie said that he is writing his memoirs and has no plans yet to write another novel.

Source: AP

Posted in

Comments

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The him? The me is confused...

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The grammar and spelling in these articles seems to have taken a nose dive recently.

Maybe JT's taken over?

Oh wait, then the background would consist of a huge picture of his ugly-ass mug. Nevermind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

This one reads as if it was written by Borat.

The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure . . . . . . . . . . . not.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Er..... dose not compute?

---

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I was gonna mention this, I didn't think Ayatollah Khomeini could see 9 years into the future :-p

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The Satanic Verses was published in 1988, not 1998.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

You want fact-checking?! Slow your roll. Let's first get some proof-reading and spell-checking and then maybe -- just maybe -- we'll work our way up to checking facts.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Didn't he once scoff at the idea of games being considered art?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

People can change.  If he's had a change of heart, it's for the better and I welcome him to the bandwagon.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I once accused him of being one of those people who believe that the book is the end-all-be-all of artistic expression, and that all of this newfound technology is nothing more than a fad. I suppose I was incorrect in my assessment, and would be glad to be.

Maybe he saw somebody playing Mass Effect 2?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Let's not forget that he is still writing a book, he hasn't made a game. So it's not a though he has to believe that games as an artform, even if he does take some influence from them.

I personally see validity in the argument that games are not art. The closest I think I've seen would be Ico, Shadow of the Colloseus and Rez (but these would be visual art and comparable to films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers), but no game comes close to artforms like cinema and literature that explore emotions and issues.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

If so he likely changed his mind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Wonder what could've done that.

WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am