New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

October 9, 2010 -

Salman Rushdie's latest book, Luka and the Fire of Life, was inspired by the world of video games, according to the author. Rushdie is best known for the book, The Satanic Verses, which brought the author big trouble. He was forced into hiding in England for over a decade after Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini issued a religious edict ordering Muslims to kill the him.

Rushdie's new book is a lot less controversial; he told the Associated Press that he wrote the book for his 13-year-old son. The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure. Rushdie said that he is writing his memoirs and has no plans yet to write another novel.

Source: AP

Posted in

Comments

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The him? The me is confused...

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The grammar and spelling in these articles seems to have taken a nose dive recently.

Maybe JT's taken over?

Oh wait, then the background would consist of a huge picture of his ugly-ass mug. Nevermind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

This one reads as if it was written by Borat.

The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure . . . . . . . . . . . not.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Er..... dose not compute?

---

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I was gonna mention this, I didn't think Ayatollah Khomeini could see 9 years into the future :-p

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The Satanic Verses was published in 1988, not 1998.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

You want fact-checking?! Slow your roll. Let's first get some proof-reading and spell-checking and then maybe -- just maybe -- we'll work our way up to checking facts.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Didn't he once scoff at the idea of games being considered art?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

People can change.  If he's had a change of heart, it's for the better and I welcome him to the bandwagon.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I once accused him of being one of those people who believe that the book is the end-all-be-all of artistic expression, and that all of this newfound technology is nothing more than a fad. I suppose I was incorrect in my assessment, and would be glad to be.

Maybe he saw somebody playing Mass Effect 2?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Let's not forget that he is still writing a book, he hasn't made a game. So it's not a though he has to believe that games as an artform, even if he does take some influence from them.

I personally see validity in the argument that games are not art. The closest I think I've seen would be Ico, Shadow of the Colloseus and Rez (but these would be visual art and comparable to films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers), but no game comes close to artforms like cinema and literature that explore emotions and issues.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

If so he likely changed his mind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Wonder what could've done that.

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm
ZippyDSMleeattack than think.02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeI can admit a lot of the butthurt coming from the other side is frankly a conditioned response learned from past experiences of censorship and social moral crusades. Which it really is not but it’s a forest for the tree’s issue I guess and it’s easier to 02/27/2015 - 4:58pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: Are you not portraying her as someone who does not use opinion in any of her material ?02/27/2015 - 4:56pm