Canada's CMF Doles out $12.9M in Funding, Some to Game Makers

October 15, 2010 -

A dozen game projects were among twenty-seven total ventures awarded funding from the Canada Media Fund’s (CMF) Experimental Stream.

All told, the fund doled out $12.9 million, with an average of $478,000 granted per project. Three projects, including one game initiative, received the maximum amount of $1 million.

Bot Colony, an online game designed to assist players in improving English skills in development by North Side Inc., was the sole game project to land the max funding amount.

Other games receiving backing included:

• Bight Interactive’s Scallywags, “a pirate-themed geocaching adventure” received $269,352.
  • Brain Center International’s NeuroActive Mental Coach, which will help golfers improve their mental game, received $664,126.
  • Btwxt Games’ Swarm! The World! Received $800,000
  • Odd1 Inc.’s MMO Odd Society Online received $311,250.

• Silicon Sisters Interactive’s Caseworker Kate, designed to “to help students in a fictional school deal with realistic and relevant teenage challenges,” received $222,821.

The full list of funding winners, which also included five websites, three mobile applications, three interactive web series, and four software applications, can be viewed here.

CMF funding is provided by a variety of Canadian cable and satellite distributors and the Canadian government.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am